Monday, October 22, 2012

Does Anyone Have Strong Feelings Re: Pineapple on Pizza?

This weekend, I had pineapple on my pizza for the first time. Becca came home from work feeling really sick, and told me "just order pizza." I'm a little sick of pizza, so I decided to experiment...

BECCA: Wow, this pizza looks good. What did you put on it?

ME: Well, I'm tired of plain cheese or just pepperoni, so I decided I'd get a pepperoni pizza and then take this deal for five more toppings for free.

BECCA: What are they?

ME: I decided I'd like something hotter and spicier, so I started with buffalo sauce, so there's a peppery spiciness and a tanginess to it, plus the garlic. Then I decided I wanted more smokey flavor, so I added bacon. Jalapenos, of course, for the heat. And the three-cheese blend to add a richness to the cheese.

BECCA: Wow, you're really thinking of flavor combination tonight.

ME: For the last topping, I decided I'd take a chance on pineapple. I know you like it, and I thought the sweetness would balance out the smoke and the heat and the savoriness.

BECCA: So... a Hawaiian pizza, basically.

ME: Really?

BECCA: Well, it's usually ham or Canadian bacon.

ME: But I like neither of those things.

BECCA: But you have bacon and pepperoni for a substitute. So, yeah, basically a Hawaiian pizza.

ME: Well... Shit.

It was actually very, very good. I was surprised. I liked the pineapple; the sweetness was kind of just a hint under the other flavors. It really complemented the whole thing. I loved it. I don't know if I could do it all the time, but I really loved it.

Listen to me, describing toppings as if I actually made the damn thing.

10 comments:

Tallulah Morehead said...

I've loved pineapple on pizza for years. Also, I love pizzas made with BBQ sauce instead of tomato sauce.

Lockwood said...

I love the pineapple-jalapeno combination with just about any meat, but pepperoni and sausage are my top choices. I always amazed scowls when I describe that combo. Glad to hear someone else likes it to.

M. D. Jackson said...

Ham and Pineapple pizza was the only kind I would eat for years. It was great as a pizza but also good as a breakfast food the next morning.

The wife and kids, when they came along, never liked it, though so I stopped eating it and moved on.

Maybe it's time to reconnect with an old flame?

Caffeinated Joe said...

Love Hawaiian pizza, we get it all the time!

Devilham said...

Yep, it's delicious, surprised you don't like ham....it's not any less salty than those other cured meats, but to each there own, right?

SamuraiFrog said...

It's more a textural thing for me. It's not the saltiness, I just find it too fatty.

Roger Owen Green said...

I like it OK, but haven't had it in years.

Nathan said...

Pineapple pizza is all right, but not something I'd go out of my way to get. I really do like Pizza Hut's ham pizza, though.

daveawayfromhome said...

I really like the flavor of pineapple on pizza, but I just cannot make myself order it that way. It just aint right. Good yes, but right? No.

Bob Rutledge said...

Yeah, ham and pineapple with bbq sauce is teh awesome.

BTW, here in Costa Rica, if you order a plain pizza, it almost always come with ham. Weird, huh?