Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Castle

Aw, come on, Castle: you did a Storage Wars episode and you couldn't even give us Barry?

In all seriousness, I just wanted--since I've spent a lot of time complaining about the frustrations of what used to be one of TV's most watchable series--to mention that I found last night's Castle to be totally refreshing. It wasn't particularly a great or remarkable episode, but it was the first episode since the middle of last season that felt like it remembered what the show used to be. It had all the right elements: witty banter, lots of charm, a mystery that was maybe a shade too predictable, a goofy riff on a current can't-believe-people-watch-that-but-we're-not-takin'-'em-to-task-for-it fad (can't wait for next season's episode that takes place at a child beauty pageant), and some sexual chemistry between Beckett and Castle (not at all diminished since they became a couple). Not too serious, not too fluffy, but just right. And thanks for remembering that Castle's relationship with Alexis is a crucial element of his character, and that Martha is actually smart.

Not a remarkable episode. But it felt like classic Castle. It made me remember everything I loved about the show and what seemed so frustratingly elusive all year. And it made me glad I was still watching it.

This is what I want: an enjoyable, watchable show. You proved you can still do it. Now just keep doing it, please.

2 comments:

Kelly Sedinger said...

I haven't watched this one yet, but I really liked the first two of the season. I've got a good feeling thus far that they got whatever last season was out of their system (and I liked last season more than you did, except for the "Push 'em apart!" nonsense toward the end). The creators have openly stated that there are no more layers of the "Beckett's mom's murder" mystery to peel back; that Senator is it. So now that there's a name to Beckett's white whale, I'm intrigued by storytelling possibilities...just as long as they're not dragged out again.

janna roam said...

I’ve always been a fan of Castle, and I feel like the season is starting out strong. I do agree that this episode was more classic Castle, though. A friend I work with at DISH and I watched it this morning on my Hopper, which was set to auto-record Castle using Primetime Anytime, so we were able to watch the episode even though I forgot to set a timer on Monday. We particularly enjoyed the multiple shifts in Captain Gates’s demeanor toward Castle. That’s part of the great humor that Castle used to, and in my opinion, still does employ on a fairly regular basis.