Saturday, September 01, 2012

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

I finally started reading the new IDW Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series, and it's fantastic. I went into it expecting it to suck, actually, but I was very pleasantly surprised by the book itself.

It's a full-on reboot of the series, and it actually manages to do a few things successfully. First, it splits the difference between the TV cartoon and the original Eastman & Laird comics. That's something a lot of TMNT series have tried to do, and they've never really been successful. Here they really manage to pull all of the different elements together and make them work in a way that's really satisfying.

Second, and more important, it got me emotionally involved in the characters and reminded me why I was a fan of the Turtles in the first place. It's one of the few comics coming out today that makes me want to keep reading, because it feels like the Turtles as I liked them are alive again. I don't know if this appeals more to fans of the original comics--the flavor is very much the same, with Eastman involved, but with a modern comic book spin to it. Somehow it manages to touch the hard cynicism of the modern superhero books without becoming as dull and empty.

I just really, really like this and I'm going to keep reading it.

Nice to have something to look forward to in mainstream comics.

No comments: