Wednesday, August 22, 2012

We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together


Have you heard the new Taylor Swift single, "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together"? Wow, it is really terrible. This kind of thing is why I've been staying away from the Top 40 for a few years now. I don't like this thing in pop music for the last several years where people make these faux-anthems where they think overdubbing someone's voice a hundred times in the chorus while thousands of drum machines play REALLY LOUD is supposed to be moving. Like they pick the part where the entire band would come in, or where someone would've thrown in an orchestra, and they substitute this bad echo and the reverb from drum machines that sound just a shade too slow so that you know, omg, this is the part that's supposed to be really dramatic and uplifting. It's just... bleh. Doesn't work for me.

And this is coming from a guy who still loves "Party in the USA" in all of its glorious stupidity.

It's not that I don't like pop music, because I love it. But this trend is just annoying the crap out of me. But here's the funny thing about it: because it's repetitive as hell, it gets stuck in your brain for about 20 minutes afterwards. But then, after that, I completely forget what it sounds like. Can't recall it at all. It's totally ephemeral. So even if the trend does annoy me, it's easy to ignore.

But, honestly? I like Taylor Swift, and I'm disappointed that she finally put out something I just think is awful. That kind of sucks.

Oh, well. This one's not for me. Maybe the next one will be.

No comments: