Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Wolverine: A Standalone Movie

What Hugh Jackman said: "We've deliberately not called it Wolverine 2 because we want it to be placed and feel like a standalone picture."

What I heard in my head: "This is a standalone picture, as much as a franchise entry based on a licensed property can actually be a standalone picture, especially when you take into consideration that I've played this character four times before. Five, if you count my overrated cameo in X-Men: First Class that Total Film can't shut the fuck up about."

He also said that the movie wouldn't be overloaded with mutant characters, something that no X-Men-related movie has ever managed to achieve (though, to be fair, that's a pretty accurate representation of the comic books). Since I don't want to see the flick but know I'll watch it when it hits HBO, I'll be very surprised to see just how many totally unnecessary characters they shoehorn in because, yeah, Deadpool really belonged in a Wolverine movie.

1 comment:

Kal said...

I so hope that they just take the basic samurai story from the classic miniseries by Miller and Claremont and just do it. You have one or two other mutants in it, the most striking one being the Silver Samurai, who himself is one of the great visuals in comic history. His design is terrific and if they can mimic that look in the live action then they might really have a movie here. I do worry that Aronofsky left because he has integrity and was getting nothing but bs from the studio. Don't fix what's not broken and learn the lessons of Wolverine 1. We waiting a long time to find an actor with the chops to do the character some justice so it annoys me when other people want to fuck with it.