Friday, August 03, 2012

Random Thoughts

I've not been watching the Olympics--I'm never really into it, though I have been amused by the great deal of coverage of what is apparently NBC's terrible coverage. I do think some of what I've been seeing online is impressive. McKayla Maroney's vault really was very impressive, and Gabby Douglas is pretty bad ass. I'm blown away.

How sad that there are so many people online who have reduced Gabby Douglas's amazing accomplishment to "She needs to do something with her hair." Why is a black girl's hair always such a political issue?

:: What annoys me about the Olympics is that everyone moves out of its way. I don't think I know a single person that has ever watched it (I know you're out there, I just don't meet you every day), but it still means I can't watch my cooking shows until it's over. It least it's a Summer Olympics and not a Winter. That would be even more irritating with the weirdly high number of network shows I watch now.

:: The Village Voice has been doing a lot of coverage of the cult of scientology lately. They had up a two-part piece last week featuring an interview with John Brousseau, who escaped in 2010 after decades with the group and has a lot of fascinating stories to tell. The big one is about Tom Cruise and how he worships David Miscavige, but there's lots more there and it's as scary and riveting as stories of the thetans tend to be. Part one is here. They're long, but worth it.

Take a look around at their scientology coverage, too. Lots and lots of stuff lately, raising lots of good points about the cult's hypocrisy (Tom Cruise gets to see his kid and everyone else is forced to disconnect from their families?), why they should lose their tax exempt status (what does forcing workers to detail cars for celebrities have to do with furthering religion?), and poking holes in their claims of being a fast-growing religion with millions of members (numbers show a shrinking religion with maybe 40,000 members at the most generous).

Try not to fall down the rabbit hole.

:: I haven't even watched the trailer for the new season of Doctor Who because I'm so annoyed with this whole Amy Pond thing. I can not wait until she's gone. I need a clean break from Pond. I also need the Doctor to stop being the male equivalent of a Manic Pixie Dream Girl for hipsters.

:: It's a weird experience after watching the first four seasons of Breaking Bad streaming on Netflix to sit and watch it week-to-week. God, it's been so good so far, too. I love how much Mike is on the show. Also great right now: Louie, easily my favorite show on television.

:: Why don't they just make a live action Wacky Races movie? Then they can have their live action/CGI/Hanna-Barbera crap and none of those awful, thin, one-note characters is overburdened with the task of carrying an entire film with that one character trait they always have. Only one. What the hell does Huckleberry Hound even do?

:: No bands will ever see any money from the Pirate Bay lawsuit.

:: Okay, here's the thing about Chick-fil-A: every corporation is giving money to Republicans. Republicans are business-friendly. Maybe none of those corporations are so outspokenly against civil rights as Chick-fil-A and its bizarre president, but they're still giving money to the same people. It doesn't take much searching to find out that most corporations give money to Republicans who favor an amendment defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman. That's not the specific reason why, but it's collateral damage and I'm sure they just consider that the cost of doing business. What do you do in a world when we all give our money to assholes? You vote with your dollars, obviously, but that money is getting out there some way or another and it's funding bigotry.

I'm never going to eat at Chick-fil-A after all of this stupidity, don't get me wrong. But all the protesting did was call attention to it and get a bunch of assholes to eat there and give the place more money which goes to fund more litigated hatred. But liberals go to Coachella, and that's sponsored by Anschutz, which gives millions more to the anti-gay crowd. And Oreo can put up all of the gay-friendly cookies it wants (and I was very sorry to find out those weren't real), it doesn't hide the fact that Kraft donates money to Bill Shuster and other anti-gay Republicans.

All I can say is, you know, your money is eventually making its way into some asshole Republican's hands, and he or she wants to ensure that gay people don't have the same civil rights we're all supposed to have. So don't eat at Chick-fil-A--I won't--but don't fool yourself into thinking that it makes a real difference in politics. Don't bother protesting and calling attention to all of that stupidity. Protest legislators. March on Congress. Call your Representative and tell her/him how you feel about politicians who take money from places like Chick-fil-A and what that means for your vote.

Support a movement to get corporate money the fuck out of politics.

6 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

black girls' hair is just an issue. always. there was a time when my daughter was three, and we were letting her hair go natural. the black people I saw (who I didn't even know) who acted as though we were committing child abuse were legion.

Hobgoblin238 said...

Same thing with Jehovah´s Witnesses as with Scienctology. hey there. I added you on my blogroll list. I hope you will do the same!

http://monstercafesaltillo.blogspot.mx/

William Mercado said...

I think people are piling are people Chick fil A is because it is so downmarket and only obese, Jesus freak hicks go there. I'm more left than most Democrats (and that's not hard) but it really galls me when I see the fat shaming from some of these so-called liberals. They really do live up to to the stereotypes of out of touch elitists

Kal said...

KalAugust 3, 2012 8:29 PM

I want to send you and Becca a lucky loonie from Canada - can I have your mail addy sent to me. - kheighton@hotmail.com

Chris said...

Interesting about the Oreos.

I don't think you'll ever get the money out of politics simply because power attracts money. But I get and support your drift.

Also, Chick-fil-A was briefly popular with my artsy friends who like to go "ghetto chic." Same thing as Krispy Kremes (remember those?)

Nathan said...

With Chick-fil-A, I think the issue isn't just that they're anti-gay but because the president was really smug about it. It's a shame, because I've always liked their food.

I looked at some pictures of Gabby Douglas after reading this entry (I haven't been watching the Olympics either), and I can't see anything wrong with her hair. Not that it matters anyway, mind you.