Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Film Week

A review of the films I've seen this past week.

THE SKIN I LIVE IN (2011)
I never expected this kind of a perverse mindfuck from Pedro Almodovar; this has shades of being a less graphically violent but equally twisted Dario Argento movie. Starts off slow, but the build is riveting and the twist is something else. I always like Antonio Banderas better in his native language, and Elena Anaya hits just the right notes. Banderas plays a surgeon experimenting with a new type of synthetic skin who keeps his patient (Anaya) in his home. It soon becomes clear there is something between them far creepier than the relationship between doctor and experimental patient, and a traumatic incident brings it all to the fore. Excellent horror movie. ****

SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS (1941)
What is it about Preston Sturges movies that I just can't connect with? Here Joel McCrea plays a film director who wants to make an epic about poverty, but who knows nothing about poverty. So he decides to hit the road as a hobo to find out what it's all about, but complications ensue. By the time he makes it through his odyssey, he's come out with a rather self-serving justification for the importance of frivolous movies. That's the way it played to me, anyway. I know Sturges is supposed to be great, but this is the fourth movie of his I've seen, and though it's the best one I've encountered, I'm just not into him. ***

A MONSTER IN PARIS (2011)
CGI animated film so bad it makes me wonder if I should take back everything negative I've ever said about DreamWorks. No, that's crazy. *

1 comment:

Tallulah Morehead said...

I love Preston Stugis movies. The Lady Eve and The Palm Beach Story are masterpieces, and I love The Miracle of Morgan's Creek and Hail the Conquering Hero. But I have always found Sullivan's Travels dopey, preachy, self-serving, and wildly overpraised. (Christmas in July is not very good either.)