Saturday, August 18, 2012

Ciaran Hinds as Mance Rayder

This is a fantastic choice.

Ciaran Hinds is going to play Mance Rayder, King Beyond the Wall, in the third season of Game of Thrones. That's not only great casting, but it's a real bright spot for me in what is, for me, the absolute least interesting storyline in all of those books: anything involving Jon Snow. Since I find Jon Snow insufferable and Ygritte far, far worse, at least I know Hinds will be there making things interesting to watch. I can imagine him being as dominant a presence as Charles Dance is; Dance is so excellent as Tywin Lannister, a character I had no lingering interest in on the page (he always seemed more like a plot device, a force of narrative rather than a fully-realized person), that he somehow remains a presence in episodes he's not even in. Rayder is such an interesting character, I can't wait to see what the writers do with him and how Hinds embodies the role.

This is one of three pieces of casting for next season that I'm really excited about, the other two being Clive Russell as the Blackfish and Diana Rigg as the Queen of Thorns. (Thank you for not casting Maggie Smith, because I kind of wanted to puke every one of the roughly 3000 times I heard someone mention that.)

Please put Vladimir Kulich on this show somewhere...

No comments: