Wednesday, August 15, 2012

100 Years of Julia Child

Julia Child was born 100 years ago today. I remember watching her on TV when I was very little; my memories are vague, but she was certainly there. My Mom used to watch her on TV, probably either Julia Child & Company or Julia Child & More Company. I would watch them with her, too, or play while she had them on. The reason I like cooking shows is not only because I find cooking fascinating, but because I remember how their relative calmness would soothe me when I was little. And actually, not just when I was little. I remember one occasion with my friend Carl when we had decided to just watch TV all day one summer when we were teenagers. We were flipping channels, ripping on absolutely everything, when suddenly we hit The Frugal Gourmet. Suddenly, we were very quiet, wrapped up in the show, watching Jeff Smith cook. The world just seemed so much calmer, so much less insane. We didn't even realize until about 20 minutes or so had passed that it had happened. It was a nice little moment.

Thanks, Julia, for helping me to appreciate what the gentle quiet could make me feel.

2 comments:

Carl said...

I remember that, too. I love cooking shows for that very reason. It's a talented (hopefully) personality working towards an amazing goal with a deliberate process. It's fascinating to watch.

Creekwalker said...

I very nmuch enjoyed watching her show on PBS. Two memories stand out: her eating a live oyster (she shucked it, squeezed a lemon over it, it squirmed before she tossed it back and chewed) and Dan Aykroyd's impersonation of her on SNL.