Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Falcon

I think it's really interesting that they've announced that Anthony Mackie is going to be playing The Falcon in the Captain America sequel. I'm honestly surprised they're just going for it, but I think it's really great that they are. Part of what's made these Marvel Universe movies so surprisingly fun is the way they've just gone for these things that seem really silly without even looking back. It's a distinctly Marvel attribute.

I remember when I was a kid, back in the days when you had to hide a lot of your nerdery, and Falcon was one of those characters you smiled at but who was also one that just made people think your love of comics was ridiculous if they ever saw him. I guess with the costume he's just asking for it a little bit.

I assume that with the costume they'll go less with the one that onscreen might seem reminiscent of Disney's Condorman and go with the Ultimate Universe version, like they did with Hawkeye and Thor.

Seems like he'd be awfully heavy on those wings with the automatic weapons in hand, but that's Marvel now.

Either way, I think this is an especially neat idea, and putting him in a Captain America movie is the perfect way to go.

The full title is Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and I don't really know anything about the Winter Soldier. He's Bucky, isn't he? Watching Captain America: The First Avenger again the week before The Avengers came out, I wondered if they were going to go in that direction because of the way Bucky's death was handled in that movie. It seemed to open the door for that possibility. Again, it also seems like a good direction to go in simply because it gives Cap a personal stake even though he's been removed to 70 years in the future.

The bad news is the realization that Marvel is only making two of these movies a year: so we've got Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World next year, then Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy in 2014, and The Avengers 2 seems definite for 2015. It's looking increasingly like Ant-Man is going to be the other movie in 2015. So that begs one question.

Where is my Black Panther movie, Marvel?

Not to be ungrateful for the top quality I've been getting, but I was pretty excited about that whole deal.

2 comments:

Kal said...

The whole comic arc that introduced the winter soldier was brilliant. Brubaker knows how to tell a great Captain America story. They used to say that death in comics only stuck if you were Bucky or Uncle Ben. I believed that until I saw how they reintroduced Bucky to the modern times. For a 'goofy' comic, it works.

Paradox Al said...

Oh, wow! That's awesome news. I always liked Falcons concept, even the more serious Ultimate version.

It's cool that we're getting more Black superheroes onscreen, though like you said, where's Black Panther? =/