Monday, July 23, 2012

Movie Confessions

This is apparently a blogathon that's been going around a bit. I first found it on the Cinema Junkie tumblr, and I just figured I'd give it a go here.

Which classic movie don’t you like/can’t enjoy and why?

The first thing that comes to mind is The Pink Panther. It's fresh in my head because I saw The Return of the Pink Panther this weekend and enjoyed it; but I never wanted to see it because I've tried three separate times in my life to watch The Pink Panther and I've never made it all the way to the end.

I've also just never enjoyed Network. Or Nashville.

Which ten classic movies haven’t you seen yet?

Lots of them, honestly. I don't feel particularly... well, whatever the film equivalent of well-read is. Especially when it comes to foreign classics. There, unless it's Kurosawa, I tend to be lacking.

Here are ten off the top of my head (foreign language or otherwise):

  1. The Wages of Fear
  2. Band of Outsiders
  3. Top Hat
  4. Sullivan's Travels
  5. The Last Laugh
  6. L'avventura
  7. Night and Fog
  8. Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
  9. The Lost Weekend
  10. Marty
You have to remember, too, that when I first got into films in a major way there was still no internet to speak of. I went by what a lot of books and things like the Sight & Sound list said were the essential movies to see. Then my generation decided that most of what came before Reservoir Dogs was inessential and that Spielberg was the most important director of all time and that lists of the greatest films ever made started proudly including hardly any movies that were made before The Godfather. So I don't know what's supposed to be the greatest whatever and tend to not take those things too seriously.

All I know is, there are so many films I want to see, and I may never see each one. But at least I'll never lack for something to watch.

Have you ever sneaked into another movie at the cinema?

Oh, sure. But I weirdly can't remember what any of those movies were.

Which actor/actress do you think is overrated?

Jesus, who isn't anymore? Just look at the A-list: they almost all suck. First name that pops into my head: Reese Witherspoon. What the hell was that whole thing about? And who are these people who think that Julia Roberts is seriously talented in any way?

From which big director have you never seen any movie (and why)?

I honestly can't think of one... Not now, anyway. I might later, and now I feel like maybe I look like a know-it-all. But seriously, I feel like there isn't a major director where I haven't seen at least one piece of his work.

Which movie do you love, but is generally hated?

Oh, you know, the popcorn stuff that people give me a hard time about: The Spirit, Speed Racer, the Star Wars prequels.

Have you ever been “one of those annoying people” at the cinema?

No. I've had it done to me and wouldn't ever do it to anyone else.

Did you ever watch a movie, which you knew in advance would be bad, just because of a specific actor/actress was in it? Which one and why?

Oh, sure. Try and be a fan of any actor or actress, especially today, and you have to know going in that if you follow them, you're going to see some bad movies. It's just a statistical definite. Jeez, this happens so often that I'm having trouble pulling out specific examples. Just this year I saw Big Miracle, even though it looked like exactly the kind of cloying, manipulative, John Krasinski-starring crap that I despise, but I saw it because Kristen Bell was in it. And guess what? I hated it. But I didn't hate Kristen Bell.

Bell's a good example, really, because I knew going in that When in Rome and You Again were going to be terrible. And hey, they were. But I can't ignore Kristen Bell. That's just not happening.

Furthering the example: I saw Roman because it was on cable a lot and Kristen Bell has a too-small role in it. JA, you warned me not to see it, but I did anyway. And it was as bad as you promised it would be. But I couldn't stop myself.

Oh, and Pulse. That was another one that looked fucking terrible--so terrible that it was delayed over and over in theaters. I saw the same trailer for that thing for something like a year and a half, because that's when I could still afford to go to the movies all the time. And Kristen Bell was in it, so I watched it, and that movie made me feel physically sick.

Jesus Christ, Kristen, you really need a better agent.

Did you ever not watch a specific movie because it had subtitles?

I've delayed viewing because I was too tired for subtitles, but I don't have a problem with subtitles and get irritated by people who do.

Are there any movies in your collection that you have had for more than five years and never watched?

Yeah. Time gets away from me. Let's not talk about that.

Which are the worst movies in your collection and why do you still own them?

When I own bad movies, it's usually because they have an actor or something else I like about them, or because I'm being a completist about a specific director or Disney movies. My Disney feature animation collection remains unbroken, even if it does have to include Brother Bear, Home on the Range, Chicken Little and Bolt.

Do you have any confessions about your movie watching setup at home?

No, not really. My DVD player has finally stopped working. I had that fucker since 1998, so I got my money's worth out of it. (Which is good, because that beautiful Pioneer cost me 400 bucks back then.) I think now that I have to buy a new one, I'll upgrade to Blu-Ray.

Any other confessions you want to make?

Still a guy who cries in movies. Still a guy who occasionally needs to sleep with the lights on if a movie gets a little too creepy.

1 comment:

Caffeinated Joe said...

Good, honest answers. And nothing wrong with crying or being creeped out. Means you are human! :)