Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Film Week

A review of the films I've seen this past week.

SILENT HOUSE (2012)
Another movie that attempts to be a real time thriller, but which does go one better by setting the whole thing in what feels like (I'm not sure if it actually is) one single, continuous take. I'm not really sure what makes real time such a fascinating experiment to filmmakers, especially since it never really works that well. I felt about this movie pretty much the way I felt about Martha Marcy May Marlene: there's a kernel of an interesting idea here, and the movie almost pulls it off at times, but ultimately it just doesn't work. Oh, and Elizabeth Olsen is very good in it. I really expect her to be in something great someday, but it sure hasn't happened yet. **1/2

CONAN THE BARBARIAN (2011)
How is it possible to have no expectations of something and still be disappointed? I guess because Jason Momoa seems like potentially a good Conan, but the film is so overwrought, histrionic, and just badly made to do anything with him. It's just shit. *

JOURNEY 2: THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (2012)
I had a really good time with this one. I did with the first one, too, but I liked this one better (mostly because I just love Dwayne Johnson and my perfect Vanessa Hudgens is in shot after shot perfectly designed for maximum sexy cuteness). I appreciate that these movies don't concern themselves with logic (it helps that they don't pretend to be smart, either), but just embrace their own preposterousness and go with the set pieces. I had more genuine fun watching this movie than I've had probably since The Avengers. ***

1 comment:

Kal said...

I totally agree with you about Dwayne and Vanessa. Something about that jungle rain that makes everything better. They both have amazing screen presence and in a movie this goofy that can take you a long way. Dwayne is the James Garner of today. He never lets me down. I hope you watch Fast and Furious 5. He and Vin are terrific in it.