Sunday, July 08, 2012

Ernest Borgnine 1917-2012

I always liked Ernest Borgnine every time I saw him. Sometimes he was hilarious, sometimes warm and wise, sometimes very human, other times scary as hell. Unhinged in Bad Day at Black Rock, a relentless bully in From Here to Eternity, honorable in The Wild Bunch, delivering the line that always affected me most in the movie: "It ain't your word; it's who you give it to."

I think the first time I saw Borgnine was probably on Little House on the Prairie (Jaquandor has a great post here), and then in The Poseidon Adventure. Ever since, I've always liked him. And I'm sorry to see him pass on. He had a very long life, and good for him. He was the oldest living Best Actor winner. I'm glad he left behind a body of work to check in on.

3 comments:

Caffeinated Joe said...

He was in so much stuff over the years, people must have favorite performances running the gamut. He shall be missed.

Kelly Sedinger said...

Awwww, f***. How did I not mention The Poseidon Adventure? Especially since I know exactly when I saw that movie, making it the first time I ever saw him! Dammit!!!

Joe Owen said...

exactly, while sad to see a loved actor go, he had a long life, a large catalogue of work, and many fans (myself included) to secure his legacy. Wherever you go in the afterlife, I hope he goes to the best part.