Sunday, June 03, 2012

Song of the Week: "Drift Away"

Okay, this just blows my mind.

I've always been a fan of John Denver, and I've always been a fan of Paul Williams. And here they are together, in 1973, on John Denver's BBC series, singing the tune Dobie Gray made famous but that Paul Williams' brother wrote (something I didn't know at all before now). These guys were constant figures in my childhood--John Denver through my mother and through the Muppets, and Paul Williams through his songs for the Muppets and later through his own music--and to see them together and singing this great song... like I said, it just blows my mind and makes me feel weirdly emotional. I just love it.

And even if you're not a fan of Denver or Williams, I promise you it's still better than hearing Uncle Kracker sing it.

2 comments:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Video killed the radio star. All that mattered back in the day that you had the talent and these two had that.

Ben Eggenberger said...

I was going to leave a nice comment about the song, but since you chose to insult me before I even start typing I guess I'll pass.