Monday, June 18, 2012

My Pool

I need to complain somewhere, and that's what blogs are for, so here goes.

Everyone in my apartment complex got a letter this morning threatening loss of pool privileges for everyone.

I've lived in the same complex now for, wow, 11 years. One of the nice things we have is a fenced-in swimming pool for residents and guests of residents. All you did was go over, show your ID, sign in with your name and apartment number, and then you got to enjoy the pool. Standard stuff. I love going to swim, and lately I've been going as often as possible as an alternative to going to the gym. It's one of my favorite things about living here.

Three summers ago (2010), I noticed that there was no longer an attendant by the pool. You just opened the gate and went in and that was it. This led almost immediately to a lot of abuse of the pool by people in DeKalb. It became very crowded as people just started driving over to use the pool, clogging up the parking lot and the pool itself, often just stripping down to their underwear and diving in (to 9 feet of water, genius move, by the way). Last summer, the management decided they couldn't have it again, so they installed a new metal fence with an electronic security system; everyone who lives here was given a pass to wave in front of an electric eye so the door would open, and that was supposed to solve the problem.

Of course, it didn't. Because the gate doesn't always lock, so local children sit around and wait to find the door unlocked so they can just come in. Whole families just pop over to do that. There's also a parade of douche bags from the university who insist on treating this like it's their private pool and keep bringing over coolers and hanging out. And there are people here who just let people come in whenever.

I've avoided complaining about a lot of this because I really don't want to be the guy who gets all elitist about a swimming pool, but christ, I pay rent to live here, and part of that entitles me to pool access during the summer. I resent everyone just walking in whenever they feel like it because they won't go to the park district pool or the university pool facilities. It's fucking rude and I'm sick of putting up with it. I resent watching people just walk on in, or watching someone else just open the door when they ask. It really pisses me off. It just does. Maybe that makes me the privileged guy getting pissy, but I really don't care anymore. I pay for this.

So I'm really pissed off to receive this note from the landlords threatening the removal of all access to the pool for everyone just because people are dicks. And I'm especially pissed about it for one overriding reason: this only happened because they decided it wasn't worth it to pay someone to just sit by the pool all summer and make people sign in.

"Don't ruin it for everyone," the letter warns. You already did.

8 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Is there an apartment association, sort a neighborhood association. I'm afraid the only solution I see, if the landlords won't provide security, is for the tenants collectively to do so themselves.


Good luck. The situation DOES suck.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Fight for your pool. That is the dream of us Northern living peasants - to have our own body of water.

Caffeinated Joe said...

I agree with the previous comments. For a group of you in the building who want to fight for your pool rights!

Carl said...

Our complex asks for resident volunteers, and they get a small discount on their rent.

Autumn said...

Ugh, I feel for you. I used to live in an apartment complex with the same problem, luckily after the complex DID close the pool for about a month due to vandalism (some jerks cut through all the plastic straps on the lounge chairs and threw them into the pool with a ton of toilet paper) they extended the fence to the back of the apartment office and you had to walk by the front desk and key in through there. Totally worked, but they were constantly yelling at kids for trailing water though the lobby...

phoniexflames said...

That's YOUR pool, or at least, a portion of it. There is absolutely nothing wrong or "elite" in thinking so. Seriously.

If you didn't have a pool, you would have to go elsewhere and buy a pool pass, like everyone else. But you don't, because GET THIS: it's built into your rent. It's part of rent fees. I get cable and internet for free, and it pisses me off when someone tries to bootleg off of the apartment's network. Why? They're sucking up the bandwidth with what they're doing. Bandwidth which I pay I pay for, through my rent agreement. I have no problem sharing my network password with friends that stop over because they're my guests and it's limited and at my discretion. But if everyone I knew came over and started piggybacking on it? That's just impolite and an abuse of a privilege I didn't need to give THEM in the first place.

Don't feel bad about being frustrated. You are more than entitled.

Megan Cahalan said...

I'm trying to visualize this and I just can't. Remember, I live in California. In my complex, there are no less than 3 gates you have to open to get to the pool...

J.A. said...

If there is not an apartment assoc. now would be the time to get one going. Make some photocopies of a good-natured sort of flyer about the pool and post them in every building or on each door. It might feel like you are the only one, but you can bet there are other people who want their pool back too. All you need to do is find those people and talk to them, then talk with one voice to the apartment management.

Unless you live in Wisconsin where this sort of collective bargaining may be illegal. Sorry couldn't resist the opportunity for internet political ranting.