Friday, June 15, 2012

75 Years of Rolo

I always used to love Rolos. I have good memories of them. When I was a kid, I used to have to go grocery shopping on Friday nights with my Mom over at the Jewel. I remember if I didn't complain too much, she'd let me have a generic soda (those were my favorites), a candy bar, and a comic book. I specifically remember sitting in our finished basement, waiting for the WGN Friday Night Movie to come on (though Critters is the only one I remember watching around that time), eating a Rolo, sipping a store brand strawberry soda (sadly, they stopped making those in the early 90s), and reading The Amazing Spider-Man #300. I pretty much stuck to Spidey comics, New Mutants or another X-book, and anything Star Wars or GI Joe that came out. I know it seemed then like I was impossible to please, but little things like that were the biggest pleasures.

3 comments:

Mob said...

I haven't had a Rolo in years, but it was a staple of my childhood as well.

Ditto G.I.Joe and Spider-Man comics.

I may have to run buy 7-11 this weekend, thanks for the nostalgia.

:-)

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Rolos were the perfect size to frozen in the freezer first before eating them.

The Pretentious Know it All said...

Shout out to Rolos. As with many things in my life, it's tied to my memory through movies. Secrets & Lies is one of the first "adult dramas" I remember liking as a young person and I always think of the scene at the adoption agency where Lesley Manville is popping Rolos in her mouth and offering them to Marianne Jean-Baptises.

I love your blog, apropos to absolutely nothing. You have a great online voice and your longer articles/editorials are always refreshing reads. Kudos.