Sunday, May 20, 2012

Song of the Week: "Last Dance"

Donna Summer died this week, and when everyone one Tumblr was suddenly posting videos and mp3s, I realized that Donna Summer never really made a big impression on me in music. That's not to denigrate her considerable talents, that's just to say that I was born in 1976 and didn't hear a lot of disco growing up because, with a couple of exceptions, my Dad more or less absolutely despised disco music. I didn't really discover a lot of hit until I was in high school, in the early 90s, and though there are some disco songs I just love, it comes across at worst like too many other novelties and just sort of floats past me. Donna Summer had a lot of really well-constructed pop hits, and I've always liked a few of them, but I've never really sought her out.

I know, this isn't really much of a tribute, and it doesn't have to be. I've seen a lot of other really nice ones this week, some (like Kelly's) specifically about this song. I do happen to love this one. This one is, I think, much more than a well-constructed pop hit. It's a thing of beauty, well-produced, perfectly performed.

No comments: