Sunday, May 27, 2012

Song of the Week: "I Started a Joke"

And just after Donna Summer, dear Robin Gibb passed away. Now, where Donna Summer never made a huge impression on me when I was young, the Bee Gees certainly did. My Dad may have despised disco, but my Mom had the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack on 8-track. I liked the bouncy music--"More Than a Woman" has always been one of my favorite songs--but I was also surprised as a child to realize that this was the same group who had also recorded "To Love Somebody." So at various times I made it a point to listen to the Bee Gees and discovered a wealth of material between those two songs that I really and truly loved. This song--all the sadder now, but featuring a great vocal by Robin--is one of my favorites. I've actually been listening to the entire Bee Gees catalog lately (I've just recently finished the 1974 album Mr. Natural).

This clip is from sometime in 1968, and the sound sync is off, but I like this. Thanks for everything, Robin.

No comments: