Friday, May 11, 2012

Some Mitt Romney Links

I've been doing my best not to talk a lot about the 2012 election, because I'm sure we're all tired of it and, frankly, I'm sick of the dumbass right wing comments that talking about it invites. I'm sick of the unreasonable coming here and trying to plow over everyone's opinions rather than actually, say, addressing what I say from their supposedly conservative viewpoint. In a world where everyone's opinion is their gospel and any disagreement is taken as an attack, politics get you nowhere online except in the same spin with the same idiots. So yeah, I'm sick of it.

For those of you who would like to be informed about Mitt Romney's total lack of character, here are a couple of links I found interesting today:

First, there's this Washington Post piece that illustrates Romney's past as a prep school bully who (at least) once attacked another kid for the sin of being different. Romney was forced into an awkward, hollow half-apology where he claimed not to remember the incident (which I would believe only if it was because he's done so many similar things to so many others that he can't remember specifics, which is certainly within the realm of possibility), but was still somehow able to remember that his victim later came out of the closet... at least enough to swear that the attack wasn't related to any sort of homophobia because, like, gayness didn't exist in 1965, man.

Then there's some commentary here at The Angry Black Woman, who puts the incident and the attitude/environment that created it into long-term perspective.

And finally, Charles P. Pierce at Esquire has some very insightful commentary about Romney's... again, I want to use the word character, but doing so in the case of Mitt Romney would cheapen the very meaning of the word itself. Pierce's assertion that Romney puts everyone into two classes, Himself and The Help, is pretty much the perfect way to define literally every single thing this shell has uttered in his endless campaign.

I concede that it may not be fair to pull out stupid, cruel things that Romney did in his childhood and hold them against him (the way the Right has weakly tried to point out that Obama ate dog as a boy in Indonesia as some sort of cruel character flaw), but his unapologetic and baffled response to the story and the way that pattern of behavior--that opportunism and morally righteous anger--has continued unbroken throughout his adult life speaks volumes about the man.

I've been lectured at length by a number of online armchair Libertarians who have insisted that Mitt Romney is going to be the next President of the United States. I'm not sure why they're pinning all of their hopes on a soulless piece of slime who will say anything--whether he believes it or not--to become the President, simply because he believes his life of privilege and entitlement demands it. But I've also come to realize that most of the Libertarians I get talked at by--the ones who don't want to have a discussion, but who merely want to sound off on how right they are--have embraced Libertarianism as an intellectually dishonest way of being Republicans. All of the repressive social conservatism, none of the personal responsibility they claim to champion. Are you surprised I just delete their comments?

Anyway, check those links out if you're interested.

UPDATE 10:03 PM: Another short commentary I found myself relating to. There are few things I despise more than a bully. Check that: there's nothing I despise more than a bully.

2 comments:

Kelly Sedinger said...

This guy is so...geez, I can't even come up with a proper adjective for it. He seems to think that the Presidency is owed to him because he's clearly better than everyone else, because otherwise, how would he have all that money? I don't think he really believes a damned thing other than that life should be as easy as humanly possible for people who have a lot of money.

Maybe it's just because I'm a happily liberal Democrat, but Republican candidates always seem to me to think that they deserve to be President. It's...well, there it is.

I don't entertain Libertarians, either. I'm not interested in their ideas, I simply am not. I've been screwed by The Holy Market, and I've known way too many people who have also been screwed by The Holy Market, to want to trust everything to The Holy Market.

SamuraiFrog said...

Remember when Bush Jr. was running for president and his whole platform seemed to be "But it's my turn"?