Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Mask of Zorro

Last night I ended up watching The Mask of Zorro on one of the HBOs. I just sort of ran across it and got caught up watching it. I can't remember the last time I watched this movie... years and years ago. I'd forgotten just how much I dug it. I remember now that I went to see it two or three times in the theater and was really excited by it; it was the kind of adventure movie I thought they'd stopped making in the 1980s. It reminded me of a lot of things--how much I used to like stars Antonio Banderas and Catherine Zeta-Jones, how disappointing it is that director Martin Campbell could make such a fantastic adventure and make Green Lantern such a joyless dud, how awful sequel The Legend of Zorro was. It was like going back to a completely different time in my life and my tastes... nearly 15 years ago! It still holds up; it's just a fun B-adventure flick that takes old adventure movie cliches and doesn't reinvent them (or approach them with the slick, cynical, too-cool-for-school attitude that infects so many blockbusters, even then), but instead embraces them and revels in them, and illustrates how thrilling they can be if approached with a devil-may-care sense of elan. What a fun movie and what a kick to see it again.

10 comments:

Hobgoblin238 said...

Green Lantern was great! Wifey and I liked it better than Captain America! Which proves once again that in my house we know better than the fanboys of today. Fans hated Kingdom of the Crystal Skull too...Guess what? We loved it.

SamuraiFrog said...

I love Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, too. Despised Green Lantern.

Devilham said...

I loved that Zorro movie! But I must admit to being a bit biased, as I have been a fan of Zorro since a young lad, when they would show the black and white Disney Zorro shorts on the Disney Channel...I really dig the mythos.

SamuraiFrog said...

I remember when Zorro started on the Disney Channel I was either going to bed or changing the channel because there was something else I really wanted to watch, but I can't remember what it was... I just remember lingering to listen to the theme song!

Tallulah Morehead said...

Vic Rivers, aka Victor Rivas, the Cuban actor who plays Bandaras's older brother, whose severed head ends up in a jar on the villain's desk, has been a good friend of mine for 30 years. I just had an email from his wife (I knew them both seperately from before they met each other) earlier today.

Vic is a great guy, and a real talent, especially at comedy. He's really, really funny, almost goofy at times. For the past decade or so, he's been leading a national campaign against domestic violence. His father, who was a rich Cuban aristo who had to flee penniless with Vic and his entire family when Castro came to power, was a violent abusive man who beat his wife and his kids. Vic ran away eventually, and was raised as the foster brother of Steven Bauer,with whom he remains close. (That was the sort of experience that turned Ayn Rand into a the loon she was. Vic's reaction was to grow into a committed liberal.)

His book: A Private Family Matter: A Memoir (Written as "Victor Rivers") is an important book on surviving domestic abuse, in which he frankly discusses his own struggle to curb those violent tendancies in himself, a hard-fought victory for Victor. Vic was honored by President Clinton for his work against domestic violence. He sent me a photo of himself, his wife and their son (who was just accepted by both Harvard and Yale. Nice to have choices) in the Oval Office with Bill.

Tallulah Morehead said...

PS. Revenge was officially renewed today! Yea!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I can't say enough about that Zorro film. It's a old school adventure that never lets me down. It is one I never miss when I come across it on the satellite dish. Combine this one with The Rocketeer and you have a great movie afternoon.

Tallulah Morehead said...

The Rocketeer? Are you serious? There is one turkey I will never waste time seeing a second time.

SamuraiFrog said...

Oh, no, The Rocketeer is a wonderful throwback to how kids perceive old adventure movies. I love that movie.

Rose Gardner said...

This is the movie that inspired my very first lesbian crush on the one and only CZJ. Good grief, I love her.