Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Great American Cereal Book

I just finished reading through this book tonight. It's sort of a catalog of American breakfast cereals throughout their history; it serves as a historical overview and a collection of trivia about both individual cereals and the fads and market trends that influenced the creation of what I've been eating for breakfast throughout my life. The book also inspired a lot of those nostalgia-based discussions about what Becca and I remembered eating when we were kids. I realized tonight that I ate so much Smurfberry Crunch between 1983 and 1987 that I can still recall the taste a quarter-century later. Also, I really miss that cereal that was promoting the 1989 Batman movie. That was some good stuff... like Cap'n Crunch dipped in honey.

Just for the hell of it, my 20 favorite breakfast cereals of all time (most of which are sugary and I can't eat anymore because sugary cereals make me feel sick):

1. Batman
2. Rice Chex
3. Frosted Mini-Wheats
4. Cap’n Crunch with Crunchberries
5. Kellogg’s Cornflakes
6. Franken Berry
7. Corn Pops
8. Froot Loops
9. Rice Krispies
10. Mr. T
11. C-3PO’s
12. Quisp
13. Cheerios
14. Smurfberry Crunch
15. Ghostbusters
16. Fruity Pebbles
17. Trix
18. Golden Crisp
19. Strawberry Shortcake
20. Kix

6 comments:

DrGoat said...

I've been a Frosted Flakes fan since 1956. Do like chocolate Cheerios too.

Chris said...

I can't believe Life isn't on your list. Freakin' love Life cereal. Special K is also awesome and better than Rice Krispies by far.

Love Kashi, too. But my favorite of all time is Cracklin' Oat Bran. They're like a tiny, delicious cross between bran muffins and oatmeal cookies.

Tallulah Morehead said...

Kellogg's Concentrate was my favorite. They no longer make it. But I haven't eaten a breakfast cereal in 40 years. On the rare occasions that I eat breakfast, I want scrambled eggs, hash browns and sausages. That's a breakfast!

At one point, many years ago, I was among the finalists auditioning to be the replacement voice for The Trix Rabbit, but I didn't get the gig.

Roger Owen Green said...

OMG - this is a book for me. I LOVE cereal. Don't eat much of it, save for Cheerios and Shredded Wheat, but ate a LOT of it in the day.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Captain Crunch with those damn crunchberries. There is a tree across the street from me that looks like it grows those very berries.

SamuraiFrog said...

Dr. Goat: Even with my list being what it is, Frosted Flakes were always too sugary for me. Not sure why those and not all of the other sugar I have on my list, but they made my teeth hurt.

Chris: I never cared much for Life, but my wife loves it. Special K was number 22 on my list. I also like Total.

Tallulah: My favorite breakfast is scrambled eggs, bacon, coffee and an English muffin. And fruit! Last time I went out to breakfast I had the freshest fruit, big slices of honeydew, cantaloupe and pineapple, and it was just heavenly... Which is a word that I just realized my Grandma overuses and I never use.

Roger: I still eat a lot of Rice Chex, but I don't eat a lot of breakfast cereal these days. That's why so much of my list is kid stuff, because I ate it constantly as a kid, except on Saturdays when my Dad had the time to make us pancakes.

Cal: Oh, those Crunchberries. Shred the roof of your mouth, but so sweet...