Sunday, April 22, 2012

Blogger's New Interface

My feelings: it's fine. I've been using it since December, and I like it better. It's not pretty, but what is online anymore? I've been reading a lot of posts today about how ugly it is and how everyone is incensed that Google would change it and how no one will use it anymore because it's different now and all of the same shit everyone said the last time the Blogger interface changed. Remember how much everyone hated that and how angry everyone was? And now they're all wistful because Google took that thing they hated away and replaced it with something different, and everyone just keeps using Blogger anyway because, seriously, this is not the kind of thing that people stop using a free service over.

You got used to the old one, you'll get used to this one. And then it will change and you'll once again act like someone just walked into your house and took a wall and walked away. And it will, as always, be hilarious to read about.

The more things change, the more the whining stays predictable.

UPDATE 5:30 PM: I can't think anything is hilarious without everyone thinking I'm talking about them specifically. I want to find that funny, too, but it makes me feel too much like an internet troll when I do.

Also: calm down, seriously.

UPDATE 6:02 PM: Also, if I talk about people whining and you think I'm talking about you, that may be something for you to figure out on your own without getting pissed off at me about it. Just a thought.

UPDATE 4/27: I have yet to see a single interface whiner stop using Blogger, by the way. (Or Facebook, for that matter.) You'd think someone was asking people to learn to fly the Space Shuttle.

11 comments:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

HEY now. As I high strung hothouse orchid I need change to be introduced to me in small bits, not all at once. I survivied once I played around with it for a bit but go easy on us who have neatly ordered worlds. Then again it might just be me because I freak when I have to change all the clocks forward or back twice a year.

MC said...

I didn't complain about the other changes too much (except when Blogger Beta broke commenting on my blog for a while... that made me angry).

I just think the new layout is bland and unintuitive which is a fair criticism.

At no point did I say I wouldn't use it. I just think it is a step backwards from where they seemed to be heading in the past (that is, more user friendly and providing more, not less, options for customization.

Lockwood said...

I really appreciate the way that Google figures every 6-12 months I need to relearn how to do exactly the same fucking thing I've been doing for ages. The interface isn't the issue for me, it's that I have to spend time and effort to do something I've been doing effortlessly, and for no benefit that I can see. Imagine if they changed the alphabet once or twice a year. It's a pain in the ass, and if you of all people can't appreciate the disruption and irritation of arbitrary, random, pointless changes in one's environment, I don't know who could.

MC said...

*backs away slowly*

Tudor said...

Wait, is Electric Cereboogaloo now whining about us whining, or does that in fact mean am I now whining about someone possibly whining about somebody whining about Google?
I blame Bill Gates!

Roger Owen Green said...

I too found the new Blogger non-intuitive. It was more that the NEW wasn't BETTER, so the learning curve wasn't worth the payoff.

Splotchy said...

The new interface momentarily discombobulated me. There, I said it.

Rose Gardner said...

They're so vain, they think this blog is about them. They're so vain. Aren't they?

Roger Owen Green said...

And my friend at ABC Wednesday is having a BEAR of a time. But I think Demeur said it best.

Roger Owen Green said...

Another whiner: Ken Levine.

Mob said...

I think it'd bug me less if the damned preview window looked less like a Word document and more like the published post, as it makes placement of images hard to judge.

Otherwise it's just a change to be changing something, which will happen again soon enough, so whatever, y'know?