Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Robert B. Sherman 1925-2012

The Sherman Brothers helped Walt Disney Pictures stave off their creative nadir. That's my opinion, anyway. Things did get bleak, but even during the years when things were getting bad, the Sherman Brothers were either helping shape classics like Mary Poppins or writing great songs for less great movies. The nadir did come, of course, but the Sherman Brothers were among the genuine highlights of the troubled late 60s and (very) early 70s period. And they also wrote the songs and score for Snoopy Come Home, which is my favorite Charlie Brown feature.

What I'm saying is, Robert B. Sherman, together with his brother Richard M. Sherman, have brought me a lot of happiness in my life, and it's happiness that continues to resonate with me. I also recommend the recent documentary The Boys: The Sherman Brothers' Story for a real look at their lives and careers.

Sad to see another great music maker leave us.

2 comments:

Tallulah Morehead said...

In mourning for the great Robert Sherman, for this once, I must envy your lack of access to Disneyland. For those of us nearby it, who have gone many times, though we are aware of all the greatness and magic ladeled out to us over the years by his brother and he, still, that memory is haunted by It's a Small World After All.

I know you know the song. You've heard it on TV. It takes but one hearing to know it forever. You may even have thought to yourself: "I'll bet that gets a tad monotonous after a while."

But nothing compares to the actual experience of spending 8 minutes, trapped on a small boat from which there is no escape, no way whatever to silence the singing horror as it is sung over and and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ....


STOP! STOOOOP!!!!! I'LL TALK! I CONFESS! I'LL CONFESS TO WHATEVER YOU WANT ME TO CONFESS TO! JUST PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!"


"I'm sorry sir, there is no way off until the ride ends."

And then your cousins visit from Montana, and Aunt Evelyn wants you all to ride it together.

So I have to keep telling myself: "He wrote the Mary Poppins songs." over and over.

Your memory of The Sherman Brothers is untarnished by that horror. Cherish your luck.

I have yet to see anyone site their There's a Great, Big, Beautiful Tomorrow song in his obits yet.

Oh right.

SamuraiFrog said...

I think I have about three or four copies of that song across various Disney CD collections. The relatively little exposure I've had has been more numbing than anything else. If it comes up, I do hit the skip button pretty quickly, though...