Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Princess of Mars

I just got back from seeing John Carter (in 3-D) and I absolutely loved this movie. It was abundantly charming and pure adventure, and I enjoyed it more than I remotely thought I would. I can't recommend this one highly enough. If you're of the right mindset for a fun, uncynical adventure-romance, this is one of the best. I'm not even going to pull out the "Sure, it won't win any awards, but it's so enjoyable" half-apology I'm seeing everywhere. Don't be embarrassed to like this. It's wonderful.

I'll save a real review (ha ha, as though my reviews were "real") for the next Film Week, but I do want to say that whomever had this wonder to work with and could only come up with the generic title and impossibly lame marketing campaign needs to be fired from his or her job in marketing because they aren't doing it. Because of you I'll never get to see a sequel, so thanks for nothing.

9 comments:

Tallulah Morehead said...

I just red another sci-fi fan friend of mine whom had just posted this from London: "Have seen John Carter today and the movie rocks! A bit slow in the middle maybe but worth seeing." So you're not totally alone in the theater.

And your reviews are "real." If they weren't, how could I read them?

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

This movie deserves all the good word of mouth it can get. The critics totally dropped the ball on this one. This is why we are getting a 4th Transformers movie.

Zarathustra said...

I could not agree more.... And I'm disapointed too, that there won't ever be a sequel. I feel ripped off, just as I fet ripped off by books two and three of the Golden Compass series never being made. I loved those three books so much, that I read all three of them in less than two weeks.... Now, I'm listening to the John Carter of Mars series on my Tablet.

Jason said...

Total agreement. Great movie, shitty marketing campaign.

Not the first time I've unreservedly loved a bomb, though. I'll buy the DVD regardless.

Neil Sarver said...

Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.

Totally awesome!

Roger Owen Green said...

I saw the Super Bowl ad, and I decided this film was going to be awful because the ad was crap. Glad it's better than the ad suggested.

Tallulah Morehead said...

@Zarathustra, I would think that if you genuinely LOVED the Golden Compass books, you would be relieved they weren't going to go on mutilating and castrating them into terrible movies. I know a number of people who love the Golden compass books, all of them loathed the movie.

Hollywood, by whch I mean studio executives, haven't got the balls to produce an openly-atheistic trilogy, particularly if it's likely to attract children. Can't have kids exposed to the idea that every thing they're "taught" (Indoctrinated into) in church is the masssive lie it is.

Oh, they can see some sex, and LOTS of violence, but keep that Atheism Truth away from impressionable kiddies we're busy brainwashing into True Believers.

Zarathustra said...

Tallulah, you're right, I agree with you, but I still hold out the hope that some day, Parents won't abuse their children by 'brain-washing' them with religion, at an early age. And you're also quite right that The Golden Compass didn't go far enough in its condemnation of religion. But, if it had, even the version we saw wouldn't have made it to the screen.

Roger Owen Green said...

Los Angeles Times | March 19, 2012 | 1:48 p.m.

The Walt Disney Co. said today it expects to lose about $200 million on its big-budget sci-fi film "John Carter," based on its box-office performance. That will result in an operating loss of between $80 million and $120 million for the film studio for the second quarter.