Monday, March 12, 2012

Grief

Grief lessens, it dulls, but it never completely goes away. Not after six years, at least. Whenever I relive it, it hurts less than the time before. It's assimilated into me, and it's always a part of me, just like my sister's short life will always be a part of me. I don't get metaphysical about death, not even hers. My life is fuller for having had her in it, and it's emptier with her gone, but at least for 13 years she was there, and that's what I think is important and that's what enriched my life. So this is the anniversary of my sister's death, but the pain isn't as fresh or as sharp as in years past. The joy of her life is what comes to mind more than the pain of her loss. And honestly, somehow, it makes me feel like more of a person.

4 comments:

Caffeinated Joe said...

Always remember her and she is always with you. :)

Kelly Sedinger said...

I wrote on a Facebook friend's wall yesterday (paraphrased): "There comes a day when you won't cry each time you think of her, and when you do cry, it won't hurt. Until then is why you have friends."

Grief certainly does not go away...but it does become more a companion than a burden.

Nik said...

Beautiful post, mate. My wife lost both her parents to cancer in the space of 2 months last year and we're still very much in the early stages of dealing with it all. Cancer is one hell of a bitch, really.

Roger Owen Green said...

Grief is such an unpredictable duck, nonlinear, better for many days or months, then some trigger (or no perceivable trigger) brings it back.