Tuesday, February 14, 2012

John Severin 1921-2012

Sorry to hear that artist and writer John Severin passed away over the weekend at the age of 90. I was a fan of his work for some of the comics I grew up reading, like Mad and Two-Fisted Tales, or Our Army at War, Two-Gun Kid, Tales to Astonish, Spoof, Eerie, Creepy, Frontline Combat, etc. Comics that were already old when I was born, a lot of times, but which were the kind of thing I sought out when I first started seriously getting into comics when I was 10, and which I still find sometimes to this day. A luminary who helped shape some great stories when comics were in their prime; we're so far removed from such greatness today. I'm grateful for his work, and that we still have it to enjoy whenever we wish. It's a better idea than reading 98% of what's new.

Portrait via The Pictorial Arts.

No comments: