Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Davy Jones 1945-2012

Sadly, Davy Jones died in his sleep last night.

When I was in grade school, my friends and I used to rush out and play in the field and the woods near our homes. Around 5, we'd start going home, or to the house of the friend who lived closest, and we'd sit and watch reruns of Batman and The Monkees. I don't even remember what channel they were on, but they were both there, one after the other. I didn't discover the Beatles until much later in my life; for me, the Monkees were there first.

I loved the show and the music so much that when I was 9 or 10, the first cassette I bought with my own money was Then & Now: The Best of the Monkees. It makes me sad to see Davy die, and only at age 66, from a massive heart attack. I hope his family and friends are getting through the day today.

Goodbye, Davy. Thanks for everything.

2 comments:

Caffeinated Joe said...

The Monkees were always a big part of Summetime for me. So weird to think of him as being old, much less dead!

Johnny Yen said...

Pretty sure those shows, which I also loved, were both on Channel 32.

I'm old enough to remember when the show was on originally. Yes, they were the Prefab Four, but they also were a lot of fun, and the show mined some of the best songwriting and songwriters (Carole King, Boyce and Hart, Neil Diamond) around.

I was listening to the radio today, and someone was telling a story about how Jones aprenticed as a jockey when he was young, and that when the guy he apprenticed for was older and couldn't take care of himself, Davy personally made sure the guy was in a topnotch extended care facility and footed the bill for it.