Wednesday, January 04, 2012

The Final Meltdown

Well, this time my computer melted down beyond the point of no return. I spent the last week exploring multiple options--can I afford to rent a computer until the tax refund comes?--and trying not to go on a killing spree when the frustration of trying to use a Mac overwhelmed me. (I don't want to get into the old debate again of Mac vs. PC; suffice to say that, when using an older OS, the last people I would ever want to go to for help are Mac users, who this weekend turned out to be not only unhelpful, but also unfriendly to the point of hostility.)

With Becca's laptop still undergoing repair and both of our jobs only available online--and all of this occurring on a holiday weekend, so even the library was unavailable as a recourse--we managed to scrape enough money together from holiday appeals to simply buy a second laptop. Cheaper than an all-in-one, highly functional, updated software (I'll miss you XP, kind of), and a reminder not to load up my computer with things that I may lose in another crash down the road.

It's been a very frustrating experience. I put to much stock in distractions, and when those distractions disappear, it's hard for me. In 2012, it would be nice to afford therapy again... As it was, even though I felt cut off from the outside world a bit, we had a fairly nice time. I finished most of Paper Towns by John Green (a recommendation), and I'm really enjoying it. We watched some movies, some TV--we started watching reruns from the first five seasons of Saturday Night Live on Netflix, just sort of picking and choosing which classic sketches and musical performances and films to watch, and that's been hella fun. We also did a ton of puzzles and played some Scrabble. I even rediscovered the joys of cooking; turns out my pancakes are still better than anyone else's.

Now I feel like things are more back to normal, but less like I have to be online every waking second. I'm not sure how that's going to affect my blogging here and on Tumblr, but I think no one would mind having a little less of me, eh? I might just end up doing bigger posts more infrequently, getting back to random thoughts and imagery and just sharing links and things instead of constantly posting. Some features will stay the same--and eventually I'll make it through the fourth season of Voyager, which is kind of kicking my ass right now, and there'll be that post, etc...

I don't know. If you guys are as tired of me as I am of myself...

I'm going to go back and add what would have been this week's Sunday Hottie and Song of the Week, because I have OCD about such things. And I'm going to put up the lists I didn't get to post last week: namely my 50 Favorite Pop Culture Artifacts of 2011, my top films (so far) of 2011, and my Hot 50, because it isn't the end of the year without total objectification. Not here, anyway, I guess...

Anyway, forward together forward as they say here in DeKalb.

3 comments:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Glad to hear you are back up and running. I am really looking forward to your end of the year lists and all the other topics you regularly cover.

Caffeinated Joe said...

Sounds like an adventure, for sure! Do the blogging when and if you feel like it, that's all.

Mob said...

I kinda love that your various nerdlists rule your life as much as mine control me: I haven't posted anything for a week until I get my entire movies watched list tallied from 2011. Once that can be the first post of 2012, I can return to a normal daily schedule, but I'm a slave to my habit of doing the list as a Jan. 1st post and have been lax in getting it together.

Hoping 2012 is a good year for ya sir. :-)