Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Film Week

A review of the films I've seen this past week.


LIFE IN A DAY (2011)
Watching YouTube: The Movie. Ridley and Tony Scott edit together videos farmed from people generating their own content and pretend they've made a profound statement about the diversity of life. No stars.

30 MINUTES OR LESS (2011)
Well, I liked it. They find a way to channel Jesse Eisenberg's natural hostility (it's always seething right under the surface) and take the premise seriously enough to make it less of a buddy comedy and more of a crime movie about slackers with jokes. I dunno, it worked for me. *** stars.

STRAW DOGS (2011)
Surprisingly great. Honestly, I didn't really want to see the Sam Peckinpah classic remade, but writer-director Rod Lurie really finds a way to make it current and vital. There's a lot of very nervous energy running through this movie, and the outpouring of violence at the end is dangerously cathartic. Also, it's the first movie I've ever seen that actually uses Kate Bosworth well. A real surprise, and a hell of an excellent film. One of the best and most overlooked of 2011. **** stars.

No comments: