Saturday, November 05, 2011

TV Report

Some thoughts on TV and suchlike.

Yes, there are reasons besides the sexy ghost maid that I like American Horror Story on FX, she's just my favorite reason.

It's actually a pretty interesting show. I say that having no idea what the hell is even going on, but it's incomprehensible in a way that makes me want to comprehend it. I just want to find out what's going on in that house and who's really a ghost and who isn't. Becca and I watched the first four episodes in a row this week and were pretty wrapped up in it, and I like the way it keeps homaging and even straight-out borrowing from horror flicks (particularly in the music).

:: As the weeks go by, I love 2 Broke Girls more and more. Yeah, it's a dopey show (what sitcom isn't these days?) and it's raunchy as all hell, and of course a lot of this is just me loving that I now have a weekly Kat Dennings delivery system considering that I've been fawning all over her since she was inappropriately young a decade ago when she was on that awful WB sitcom Raising Dad... but ANYWAY, I've gotten to the point where I just enjoy the characters and the humor. Again, it's mostly because of Kat, because she has a natural delivery that doesn't seem forced and a lot of jokes she's given wouldn't even connect if it wasn't for her.

I've been noticing it's women who dig 2 Broke Girls more than any other audience. The studio audience seems more into the show now, and it's mostly women I hear laughing. Online, too, I notice it's women. The thing is, Kat's character Max is like a lot of the girls I've known and enjoyed hanging out with over the course of my life. You should hear the mouth on my wife, for example. But what I think is more interesting is that a lot of the people talking about how terrible the show is--and they never say it's bad or that they don't like it, but that it's atrocious or awful or an affront to the viewer--are men. The same guys who love Two and a Half Men hate 2 Broke Girls. I don't want to call sexism on it, but, you know, if it talks like a sexist duck...

:: The Halloween episode of Castle was exactly the kind of silliness I was hoping for. Not enough shows do Halloween anymore in a fun, silly way (at least not a ton of the ones I watch). The bank robbery episode this week was fantastic, really great television.

God I just love Clone Wars. I also love how pissed off so many "fans" have been with these season, what with all the Gungans and C-3PO and little cute guys, and that's just gravy for me. I've said it before, and I'll say it now: the tears of Star Wars fans taste the sweetest.

:: I have five episodes of Wizards of Waverly Place on my TiVo right now that I haven't watched. I guess it's safe to say that I'm pretty over that show.

:: The Halloween episode of Parks and Recreation did a smart thing putting Ann and Ron together in the home improvement storyline. Ann is seriously the most extraneous character on the show--she adds nothing, and as pretty-but-plain as she is, Rashida Jones isn't funny--and it was kind of refreshing seeing her and Ron bounce off of each other. Earlier this season, too, when she was trying to have a conversation with him. It's like they've finally found a good dynamic for her. I wonder if it'll last.

:: I don't know what point Trey Parker was trying to make with this week's South Park, but damn this show's been limping for the last three years or so. I think it's because Trey Parker took over as the show's sole writer and director. Seriously, they need a staff again.

:: I actually have yet to watch this season of Boardwalk Empire. My old TiVo was malfunctioning and we couldn't watch the recorded episodes, and HBO is just not giving me any opportunities to catch up here. I upgraded to an HD TiVo, but it replaces my cable box so I don't get On Demand anymore, which I never really used anyway, so whatever there. I'll just watch it on HBO Go or something. It's not the end of the world if I have to wait to see it on DVD or anything. I do love the series, though. I loved the first season, and I hope the second one is as good.

:: I have been watching Enlightened, Hung, and Bored to Death so far. And while none of those shows is really a great show, they're all okay in their own way. Not much to say about them.

:: Hmm, petered out, I guess. Two words, then: Kat Dennings. I just love her. She may end up replacing Kristen Bell as the Patron Saint of this blog...

4 comments:

MC said...

I don't have anything against 2 Broke Girls.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I hated the first episode of 2 Broke Girls but I am going to download the first five or so and give it another chance. I do so love Kat.

I enjoyed 'LUTHER', a show from BBC, 'HOMELAND' with Claire Danes and 'BOSS' with Kelsey Grammar

SamuraiFrog said...

I've heard a lot of good things about Homeland and plan to watch it. Luther is on my Netflix streaming queue. And I REALLY want to see Boss because it's about Chicago politics and I hear nothing but good things about it.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I always dug Kelsey Grammar as an actor and he just chews up the scenery here. Great acting around him and real Chicago political gamesmanship with no mercy for anyone. The gangsters never left that city, they just moved into bigger offices and wore fancier suits.

I really am interested in what you have to say about 'Luther'. There are only ten episodes so its a day long watch for you.

Then of course the best of the DS9 stuff you have yet to review. Good time to be following your blog my friend.