Thursday, October 06, 2011

Halloween: Ghostbusters #1

I don't think I've ever read anything from IDW before, but just for the hell of it (and because it's October), I decided to check out the first issue of their new ongoing Ghostbusters series. I don't know whether or not this is coming off of any Ghostbusters miniseries, but I did like this one.


It was a little off-putting in tone at first, just because of the cartoony humor. It's kind of a cross between The Real Ghostbusters cartoon and the recent video game (especially if you, as I, played it on PS2, where the graphics were apparently cartoonier and more stylized).

I also don't know what this series considers continuity or not. The style has nods to The Real Ghostbusters (Janine Melnitz looks almost exactly the same as she did on the show), but when Slimer puts in an appearance, it doesn't seem like he's been, basically, the firehouse dog. There is a lot of talk about the events of Ghostbusters 2, so I don't know if they're ignoring everything else, or really if it makes a difference or not!

What got me right away was this moment:

They don't name the guy, whether he's Joliet Jake or John Belushi, but he's obviously the ghost of someone Ray has some previous history with. I'd love to think of this as a crossover, since I'm a big geek, but I like the nod.

It's very comic book-y. It's not sophisticated. But it is fun, and that's all too rare in modern comics, so if you want to spend a few minutes with a licensed property comic book, you could do worse. It didn't quite satisfy me--why are all comics so damn decompressed these days?--but it merits a seconds issue.

(I should just start reviewing comics all the time, since that's half of what I do now...)

2 comments:

DrNobody said...

Yes, I'm still looking at your older posts (as I haven't gotten on here much at all since your Tumblr went away), but I would recommend the TMNT series by IDW... It reimagines the concept a little bit and I've found the changes quite nice.

SamuraiFrog said...

Thanks for the heads up. I've been curious about it, like I am every time someone starts up a new TMNT series.