Friday, October 28, 2011

Hallow-meme '11

You know I always like to have a Halloween meme, and I saw this on Tumblr the other night, so it all worked out.

1. Which urban legend ghost scared the bejeesuz out of you when you were a kid?

I'm not sure any really did so much. Not that I remember, anyway. I remember screwing around with a Ouija board, kinda, sleeping at friends' houses and stuff. Me and my friend Shane tried to rig one out of a desk drawer and a glass once, that didn't really work. The "Bloody Mary" idea kind of scared me a bit, but I grew out of the ghost stories. They've just never really gotten me. I was always scared of alien abductions or creatures like Bigfoot, which is equally as silly to me as ghosts, but that was my thing when I was a kid.

This isn't really an urban legend ghost or anything, but for some reason what this reminded me of was a time in kindergarten when I put a stick in my mouth and pretended I was smoking a cigar, and another kid told me that would give me a heart attack. For an afternoon, I was really terrified at the idea that putting a stick in my mouth would give me a heart attack. Kids are so dopey.

2. Which horror movie has the best premise?

Hard to tell anymore. Like I said in my Film Week this week, I feel like I'm a little jaded on horror flicks right now. I think Halloween has a really good premise--the murdering kid returning to his old home. It's simple, but that's why it works.

3. What is the most disappointing “treat” to receive in your bag on Halloween night?

You ever get pencils while you were trick-or-treating? Or toothpaste? Pennies were always pretty lame, too. The candy I didn't like were whatever came in that wax paper--was that taffy or something? I never ate it. I didn't like Sugar Daddies, either, or Bit-O-Honey. Popcorn balls or candied apples we were never allowed to eat.

4. What’s the best non-candy item to receive?

There's a good one?

5. Did a monster live in your closet when you were a child?

No, but I was always worried an alien did. That he was just waiting for me to fall asleep so he could abduct me. I was always afraid I'd see the alien, and then there'd be nothing, and then I'd have one of those unexplained scars I was always reading about. I could never have the closet door open even by a fraction of an inch. Even when Becca and I moved here a decade ago, that fear still lingered a bit. I wasn't afraid, I just remembered the feeling it gave me to have the closet door open at night. Weird.

6. Which supernatural creature sent chills up your spine when you were ten and still does?

I love the traditional Halloween creatures too much to be afraid of them. In this group, I include more recent characters, like Pinhead and the Tall Man and Freddy and Jason, because they're from when I was a kid. None of them frighten me anymore, though.

7. Which supernatural creature makes you yawn?

Vampires are bullshit. Werewolves are just boring.

8. What’s your favorite Halloween decoration?

Jack o'lanterns, of course!

9. If you could be anywhere on Halloween night, where would you be?

Oh, I like being here with Becca and watching It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.

10. What’s the scariest book you’ve read so far this year?

Interesting question. Good books, but nothing scary this year.

11. Haunted houses or haunted hayrides?

I liked the haunted forest walks. Those are cool.

12. Which Stephen King novel/movie would you least like to find yourself trapped in?

Cujo. I was so deathly afraid of dogs as a kid.

13. Which is creepiest: evil dolls, evil pets, evil children?

I don't know, they're all sort of overdone. I think dolls are probably the creepiest. Depends on what it is. If it has a little kid voice, that's sort of creepy. If it's a clown doll... seriously, people, what is scary about a clown?

1 comment:

Caffeinated Joe said...

Cool stuff and interesting answers. Halloween is my favorite flick, any time!