Sunday, September 25, 2011

Mark Hamill Is 60?

Wow, that's crazy. I've always liked Mark Hamill and I've seen him in lots of stuff over the years, but since Star Wars also froze him in time 34 years ago, it's hard to picture. I wonder if my Mom is still enamored of Mark. She was such a big fan of his. I remember when she wrote him a fan letter and told him she loved him; she put in a SASE (remember those?) and he wrote her back in his own hand and said he loved her back! She was so infatuated. I was weirded out by such a thing when I was a little kid--you mean Luke Skywalker isn't a real person???--but now I think it's very cute and sweet. Having had my own fan encounters, I know how special they can be. I still remember making Harlan Ellison laugh.


60 years old. I remember a time when I thought that seemed downright elderly. Now that I'm 35, 60 seems daunting, but not scary. My Mom's 54, and she often seems younger, healthier, and more energetic than I do.

Happy Birthday, Mark!

3 comments:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

He turned typecasting into voice acting immortality. Like Conroy is animated Batman to me, Hamill is animated Joker.

Of course his full retard turn as the TRICKSTER on the great FLASH show in the eighties can't be forgotten.

Luke Skywalker was and still is one of my childhood heroes. I too wish Mark could have been preserved in glass after STAR Wars but god damn if after all this time, he is still the heart and soul of that trilogy. He performs that roles so well. I appreciate Mark Hamil more and more each year.

Tallulah Morehead said...

Hey, Ringo Starr is 71!!!

Making Harlan Ellison laugh is very cool indeed. I've met him several times but have never gotten even a chuckle from him. Making someone you love and admire, especially a sharp intellect, laugh is the best. The two greatest such moments for me was getting a laugh from Gore Vidal and making Barry Humphries laugh. When Barry laughed at a joke of mine, I grabbed both of his hands in mine and jumped up and down in joy, saying: "You laughed at my joke!" He replied: "Yes I did indeed." I told him I'd wanted to make him laugh for years! Needless to say, I made no such undignified demonstration with Gore Vidal, I just silently came in my pants. (TMI?)

DrGoat said...

60 isn't too awful. I turned 61 last month. Health insurance starts to get REALLY expensive, though. About a third of my paycheck goes to premiums. But I did get to see Led Zeppelin, Steppenwolf, Iron Butterfly, Jimi Hendrix, the Who etc. etc., live and in person. I have to hang on to that, 'cause getting old does suck. Growing up in the 50s-60s was actually pretty good, though. A lot less pressure from corporations to be good consumers, and a lot more freedom to be a kid.