Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Common Snapping Turtle

I was looking at pictures of animals indigenous to Illinois, when I came across this one. It made me realize that the baby turtle I saved years ago from the Walmart parking lot and released over by the pond was a common snapping turtle. I saw him last year scrambling along the road and recognized his bumpy shell and long tail. That was what had confused me when he was small enough to fit in a little basket: his long, long tail. Now I know why he had it: he was a common snapping turtle.


They're dangerous animals, but I don't care, I think they're pretty. There's no way I could pick him up now, but I'm glad I saved him when he was a baby and about to get run over by a semi.

I still wonder how he got into the garden section of Walmart, though...

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

We had a few big ones in the lake in Ontario where I grew up. The one had been around as long as my dad could remember (He's in his 60's now) I caught it 15 years ago. It was about 75 lbs.
Whenever I felt down about not having any really interesting animals that lived around me, I just had to remember these guys.

They are very beautiful.

daveawayfromhome said...

You sir, have qualified yourself for a "Turtle Rescue Squad" t-shirt, should I ever get around to creating them.