Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Film Week

A review of the films I've seen this past week.


GREEN LANTERN: FIRST FLIGHT (2009)
With the new film getting almost uniformly terrible reviews, I decided I'd finally Netflix this animated flick instead, and it's a hell of a lot of fun. Terrific action scenes, and a surprisingly strong voice cast that lends a lot to the proceedings. It's engrossing, but there's not much in the way of character development. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that the film gets off to a quick start and clearly defines the conflict, but I would've liked to have seen more of Hal Jordan getting acclimated to his new status as a Lantern. I don't even know why they bother putting Carol Ferris in the movie; it just jumps right into fighting aliens and leaves Earth behind. But as it stands, it's a pretty damn fun movie. It really grasps the scale of the Corps. There could have been more Tomar Re, but I'm good; they do a great job with Kilowog, and I'm always happy to see Ch'p. Of the voice cast, Kurtwood Smith is a treat as Kanjar Ro. He balances out the seriousness of Victor Garber as Sinestro. Just, a really fun movie. ***1/2 stars.

No comments: