Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Film Week

A review of the films I've seen this past week.


THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE (2010)
It's cute. It's harmless. These kinds of movies are never as much fun as they should be anymore, but Jay Baruchel's charm makes up for a lot. And I liked a lot of the Disney nods. *** stars.

DJANGO (1966)
Fantastic Spaghetti Western that took me way too long to finally see. This one pulled me in and captivated me. Not necessarily groundbreaking, but very cool. ***1/2 stars.

BLACK SABBATH (1963)
I liked about half of this horror anthology. "The Telephone" and "The Drop of Water" are very chilling and effective, but the big centerpiece, "The Wurdalak" with Boris Karloff as a vampire, really drags. It's too bad it takes so much time to get going; a little less set-up and I would've been riveted to it, since it's the kind of vampire story I tend to like (a revenant returning to his home after death). But I'm still going with *** stars, because what works works very well. (For me, anyway.)

TOO BIG TO FAIL (2011)
Interesting docudrama about the 2008 economic collapse. It makes some interesting points--including that we've simply set ourselves up to watch it happen again--but as with most docudramas, it's long on docu and short on drama. Basically, it's an industry full of assholes out to save themselves and their bonuses, and their positions, and casting Hank Paulson as the tragic figure at the center doesn't really resonate for me. (Though William Hurt is good in the role, but he's good in everything.) Still, a very interesting movie. *** stars.

TOOTH FAIRY (2010)
Unwatchable. No stars.

1 comment:

Tallulah Morehead said...

I saw Black Sabboth in a theater when it first came out. "The Telephone" scared the crap out of me.

I rmemember being bothered by one point in "The Wurdalak": Since he only drinks the blood of family members, what does he drink after all his family are dead? Also, does the name mean ""We were Daleks"?