Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Upcoming TV Season

I've been going through the reports from the upfronts, and this is where I usually do the breakdown and talk about what I want to watch, but nearly every single new show looks terrible. Maybe I'll change my mind as we get into September and October, but right now, it looks like I'm going to have even more time away from my television next season (which is not at all a bad thing).


FOX

Everything on Fox looks bad. I really don't know why anyone gets caught up in anything on Fox anymore, since Fox will just cancel it, but I know a lot of Fringe fans. I'll watch Fringe eventually on DVD, but I'm not going to sit weekly and put myself in a position where I'm beholden to Fox to give me just a few more episodes before they chuck it for some slick high concept stupidity that will flop.

Of their new shows, the animated ones look particularly stupid (seriously, you canceled King of the Hill for this garbage?), and New Girl with Zooey Deschanel looks tremendously awful. I used to like Zooey, but after that shitty (500) Days of Summer movie, Zooey is apparently nothing more than the hipster pixie queen who flits around and looks cute, and her sitcom looks like it's just... that. And nothing else. When you read the description, it sounds amazingly stupid, and then you add Zooey who is just actively annoying me these days... no.

I want Alcatraz to sound interesting, but it's Fox.

So it looks like it's still just Kitchen Nightmares for me. And Hell's Kitchen if it ever comes back.

Zero interest in The X-Factor.

NBC

There are threats that Catherine Tate may be the new boss on The Office. I hope that doesn't happen, because then I might have to try watching it again.

Again, all of the new shows sound terrible--seriously, Whitney Cummings is not funny, stop pretending that she is... of course, I'm a hypocrite, because the only reason I'm going to try watching The Playboy Club is Amber Heard in a bunny outfit. But come on, tell me The Playboy Club isn't going to be canceled after two episodes.

So it'll just be Parks and Recreation for me, which is coming on at 7:30, so it'll be on right after The Big Bang Theory on CBS, and then Thursday night will be over. (30 Rock isn't coming back until midseason, but right now I'm not sure if I actually want to watch it anymore or not.)

By the way, the season finale of Saturday Night Live was, for the most part, exactly as hilarious as everyone said it was. Now if Kristen Wiig would only leave the show... And give Jay Pharaoh more to do, christ.

ABC

The only suspense here is wondering which of their new shows will fail first. My money's on Tim Allen's new sitcom, but Once Upon a Time looks like something no one could love (plus it's a rip-off of DC Comics' Fables), and Pan Am looks as cancelable as The Playboy Club (lots of Mad Men rip-offs on this year). And who the hell was clamoring for a slick remake of Charlie's Angels?

Castle is coming back, which is the real treat for me. And Modern Family will still get TiVo'd, and Cougar Town will be back midseason, so again, no change.

CBS

The only new show I'm going to watch is 2 Broke Girls, because of my unkillable love for Kat Dennings. It looks stupid, but it's Kat. And it's on after How I Met Your Mother. The Big Bang Theory on Thursdays, and nothing else.

CW

Who fucking cares?

Yeah, lots of free time. Of course, I'll just spend it watching movies or being on the internet but, well, I've made my peace with that.

4 comments:

James said...

NBC is ... it's hard to imagine they'll ever recover from the years of Zucker & Co's mismanagement.

As far as Fox is concerned, they tend to experiment and I like that. Please consider giving Fringe a chance; it's a great show and the idea that you'll just catch it on DVD to spite the network that makes it actually hurts the show.

In all, we can rejoice that the Wonder Woman pilot was thrown out.

jaundicedi said...

Fringe is definitely worth the effort, but at this point you really need to watch the first two seasons on DVD to get the back story. It isn't as bad as coming into Babylon 5 in the third season, but if you don't like Fox already (and with good cause!), why start with a handicap? "Fringe" and "The Killing" are the only two shows I bother to be sure to watch.

Kal said...

I was all stressed about Fringe while waiting for it to be brought back but now that it is I am telling everyone who has the same fears as you do to catch up before fall. Plus, missing out on some of the greatest performances in a show from this genre is something you will regret. John Noble...emmy bait. And I would be the last person on the planet who would ever thought that Joshua Jackson could ever not make me want to throw up hairballs since I last had to endure him to watch Michelle William every week.

Did you see the TRAILER for the new ZOEY show? I haven't laughed so much at first sight and many rewatches later in a LONG TIME.

Craig said...

Isn't Craig Ferguson on CBS? He redeems television.