Thursday, May 26, 2011

Health Report Update

It's almost summer (though it's quite chilly today in DeKalb), so I've got my new summer haircut, courtesy of Becca. Since we're both home now and looking for jobs (though she's racking up the commissions and I'm very proud), we decided to make a commitment to go back to the gym again. We went back for the first time yesterday, and I was again reminded that I'm in the worst shape I've ever been in in my life.


Working out felt really good, though--you know, after. Becca burned off some of the excess energy that's been making her so anxious lately (she feels really cooped up without the 9 to 5), and I felt so much better. Refreshed. And more capable. Since I've made a lot of strides in getting over the agoraphobia, and since I don't have a problem with her driving me around anymore, this felt like yet another step towards reclaiming my former humanity...

Also, it turns out I've actually lost some weight. Not much, but the last time I was at the doctor's office and they put me on the scale, I weighed 11 pounds more than I do now. That was a wonderful surprise. I stepped on the scale at the fitness center and I thought for sure I had gained even more and was going to weigh forty pounds more than I actually do. But I lost 11 somewhere.

Now I've just got... a LOT more to go.

Becca and I promised each other we would always go at least three times a week: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. We can go more, but we can never go less. That combined with the pool opening this weekend makes me feel like I'm finally, FINALLY back on track...

5 comments:

Carl said...

That is GREAT news! Good for both of you. I need to get back myself. Be careful... It's really easy to find excuses NOT to go.

Glenn Whidden said...

Great. Keep up the good work!

Caffeinated Joe (Wings) said...

Great! Good luck with it! Being their to support each other is the best help you can have!

Kal said...

I highly recommend the pool. That low impact is a god-send if you are getting back into fitness after awhile.

Megan said...

Very cool.