Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Film Week

A review of the films I've seen this past week.

THOR (2011)
As I said the other day, I really enjoyed this. A good one to see in the theater, too (though I did see it in 2D instead of headache-inducing 3D), because the sweep of Asgard needs to be experienced rather than merely seen. The story and look are a surprisingly great combination of the Jack Kirby cosmic weirdness and J. Michael Straczynski's recent run on the title (like the small New Mexico town where half the movie is set). It's nice that the movie manages to split the difference between being a component for the eventual Avengers movie and making the story of the Mighty Thor actually interesting. The performances make a lot of it, too, particularly Chris Hemsworth in the title role and Tom Hiddleston as a surprisingly sympathetic Loki. This is the kind of movie that comic book movies should be: goofy without being stupid, fun without being fan service (though there is a tiny bit, naturally), and it takes its premise seriously without being ridiculously full of itself. None of that Dark Knight posturing. **** stars.

3 comments:

Daskaea said...

Hands down, my favorite superhero movie made in the past 10 years. I just loved it to pieces.

Nathan said...

Does seeing the movie require a knowledge of the comics? Because I haven't read them, but I DO know a fair amount of Norse mythology.

As for the 3D, I can't believe that costs EXTRA. It doesn't give me headaches, but I don't see the point.

SamuraiFrog said...

One of the things that impressed me about the movie is that you really don't need to be familiar with the comics at all. Becca's never read a Thor comic in her life, and she loved it as much as Rose up there.