Saturday, April 16, 2011

TV Report

:: How much did I enjoy Will Ferrell on The Office? I don't think I've laughed so hard at an episode in the last calendar year. The whole reason I'm watching this season is to see how they mature Michael and give him closure as a character. It's been a dreadful season, as bad as the last one, but just watching Steve Carell and Will Ferrell together was delightful. They play off of each other perfectly, and playing it so that Deangelo Vickers was pretty much just like Michael except more competent and, I suspect, more ruthless--and then seeing everyone gleefully suck up to him, making Michael that much more jealous--was another good step in Michael's development. I'm sure Will Ferrell won't be around more than a couple of episodes, but as guest stars go, this is one of their best.

And, honestly, one of the reasons I love Deangelo is that he refused to be charmed by Jim and Pam's baby: "That baby could be the star of a show called Babies I Don't Care About." Jim and Pam have really rounded the corner to the point where I find them completely insufferable. I mean, wow, honestly, what a couple of assholes they've turned into. I'm worried that once Michael and Deangelo are gone, there's not going to be a single character left that I give a shit about. I still figure I won't bother watching next season, unless by some miracle Will Ferrell sticks around or they replace Michael with someone really, really good.

:: Also, 30 Rock is getting very, very tired.

:: I really dug Helen Mirren on Saturday Night Live.

:: I was blown away by HBO and Todd Haynes' adaptation of Mildred Pierce. I can't remember the last time I was that captivated by Kate Winslet. And Evan Rachel Wood was very good at making Veda Pierce so awful and evil. I got caught up in this series and basically watched it all at once. I'd like to see more of this sort of thing from HBO. Giving it five hours to let the story breathe was a great choice; which isn't to say that I don't love the film noir version with Joan Crawford, but I've seen that and it would be irritating to watch someone try to do it again. This was sort of the middle ground between overwrought sensationalism (which is what a feature probably would be today, and it would probably star someone inappropriate like, I don't know, freaking Keira Knightley) and full-blown Masterpiece Theatre. I really, really enjoyed this.

:: I knew How I Met Your Mother was going to start making Zoey irritating as soon as she and Ted were together. I think the ball was dropped on this one, too, which is a shame since it was incredibly obvious they were going to get the two characters together, anyway. True, they've already flat-out said on the show that Ted and Zoey had a bad break-up, but even that's obvious since she's protesting his dream project--how long was it really going to last when it came time to tear down the building she's trying to save?

:: Someone's supposed to die on the season finale of Castle, and I really hope it's not Captain Montgomery...

2 comments:

Tallulah Morehead said...

So The Office was good this week? I missed it as I have long since reached the point where I just will not watch Will Ferrell in anything. I loathe him, and can not understand how anyone finds him funny. He is to me the epitome of "insufferable." I won't be watching The Office again until he is gone.

Jaquandor said...

On Castle: I just read somewhere that they were looking for people to play Capt. Montgomery's family. Shit. I love everybody on that show. Can't they go the CSI: Miami route and introduce a character, retcon him so he's been there since the beginning, and then kill him off?

Or how about Beckett's annoying boyfriend? That dude needs to go away, big time. But not the Captain!