Friday, April 22, 2011

So... The Office


As much as I enjoyed last week's episode of The Office? That's how much this week's episode made me want to vomit up everything I've eaten in the last five years. The whole episode was just flat and unfunny, but then came the entire office serenading Michael with a song from Rent with modified lyrics, and all I could think is.... Wow, this is really what this stupid show is now. This thing used to be so brilliant, and now it's just total, complete and utter bullshit.

When did every character turn into a variation of Michael?

With the exception of the occasional peak like the Michael Scott Paper Company storyline, this show has been in decline for a few years now. And I see the season finale is loaded with guest stars (Ricky Gervais, Catherine Tate, Will Arnett, James Spader, Ray Romano, Jim fucking Carrey), which is just another example of how much this show has turned its back on the slightly-amplified, quirky realism it used to go for. Now it's a guest star extravaganza. It's really, really weak. They only emotion they want to whip up now is an extremely ingratiating and pathetic version of cute.

Can't wait for the inevitable episode next season where Dwight dreams that the whole show takes place in Middle-earth. Or Angela dreams the characters into an episode of Little House on the Prairie. Or we just flat-out start hearing CC's thoughts. Would any of these things seem out of place anymore?

You can let me know, I won't be watching it next season.

(Also, was last night's episode of 30 Rock just a one-hour showcase of why the show doesn't work anymore, or what?)

5 comments:

Jaquandor said...

My final straw was the Christmas episode, with Dwight's constant pelting of Jim with snowballs. It's astonishing how far they've come from the characters as originally conceived. Dwight's morphing into a malicious and cruel bastard was just one example.

Tallulah Morehead said...

I turned off last night's Office less than five minutes in. People kept telling me to give Will Farrell, whom I loathe, a chance, so I did, but I just couldn't stand it.

Howver, I enjoyed last night's 30 Rock. We're on very different pages there.

I turned off last night's Community also, when I realized it was a friggin' clip show. A clip show is always a mark of desperation.

What an island of comedy Parks & Recreation was last night. (I can't watch ANYTHING with the insufferable Paul Reiser, and never even turned his crapppy new show on. I want Perfect Couples back.)

Lee said...

We're going to stop watching The Office at the end of this season anyway, it already feels like it's in caretaker mode (unlike your good self I've still been enjoying the series up until this season).

Any lessons learnt from final season of Scrubs here??

Lee said...

@Tullulah

The Community clip show was funny because those clips were all shot for the clip show - they weren't repeats they were mainly from episodes that don't even exist.

Not their strongest but I like the idea :)

Tallulah Morehead said...

An idea that gets a regular viewer to turn it off ten minutes in is a bad idea. The show is becoming WAY to "meta" for me, however much I like Joel McHale.