Saturday, April 09, 2011

Sidney Lumet 1924-2011

I have to admit, Sidney Lumet was not one of my favorite filmmakers. I'll be upfront about that. But it feels like another piece of Old Hollywood--at least as Old Hollywood as it gets for my generation--has passed on, and I'm sorry to hear it. Lumet made some films that I really loved: 12 Angry Men, Long Day's Journey Into Night, Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, Equus, The Wiz, Running on Empty, and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. Thank you for those.

2 comments:

Allen L. said...

What? No love for Network or The Verdict? There was a reason he was trusted with works by the likes of Chayefsky and Mamet. He was great with the written word and with actors and with storytelling.

SamuraiFrog said...

I've never seen The Verdict and, honestly, I just didn't like Network when I saw it.