Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The New Superman Sounds Like the Old Superman

It looks like Zack Snyder's Superman movie is going to retell Superman's origin yet again.

Look, everyone in the world knows Superman's origin. Two week-old babies know Superman's origin. After 72 years, we've all got Superman's origin down, and we can just move on and tell stories now. We've done it. We did it on every Superman-related TV series. We did it in Richard Donner's movie, and we did it in Bryan Singer's poor tracing of Richard Donner's movie. We don't need to do it again.

Also, the villain is General Zod. And while I like that Michael Shannon is going to be in the movie (because he's a terrific actor), do we need to do General Zod again?

You know, you might not know it to look at the movies we've had over the last three decades, but Superman actually has other villains besides Zod and Lex Luthor. Granted, I don't expect to see Mr. Mxyzptlk in a movie these days, or Bizarro, or anything where they might have to make something surreal work in a world where comic book movies are meant to be taken with rigid seriousness. But jeez, why not Parasite or Metallo or Mongul or the Ultra-Humanite or freaking Brainiac? I'd personally love to see Darkseid as the villain, but hell, at this point I'd settle for Toyman if we could just get something different.

How many times are the going to try and make the same movie? They made it right the first time.

6 comments:

Neil Sarver said...

Totally agree. I'm so bored by the repeats and general cowardice in all of the superhero movies.

War World!

Drake said...

Comics,books,Radio,Serials,Movies,Television all have given his origin. I agree we really don't need the origin again.
I'd like to see the green skinned Brainiac as the villian

Autumn said...

Brainiac would be pretty awesome, but seriously...did we expect better? I sadly had just figured this would be Superman's origin again, which is...you know...sad. On the bright side, if it turns out really bad then it won't have ruined much for me. If it was something new and awesome I was totally looking forward to I would be disappointed, we don't want that do we?

erik said...

I think it's become kind of a tradition to tell Superman's origin. However, I agree, it'd be rather boring to spend more than five minutes on it.
Superman III had Brainiac and Bizarro, from a certain point of view. I'd prefer to see Darkseid... the real Darkseid, not the smoke monster floating around Smallville.

Clay said...

I do find it sad that were at our 6th Superman movie and Luthor and Zod have been the only villains used.

Joshua Ratcliffe said...

I would love to see two villians. One at the beginning of movie. A minor villian that could be beaten easily. And a main villian to fight all the way to the end.like parasite devouring people in the first 15 minutes showing how powerful he is against the ordinary then bam. Supes coms in figures out quick to subdue. Then leads in to an extreme threat like doomsday.