Sunday, April 03, 2011

The Meme of Terror

Once again, questions are taken from TV Tuesday.

1. What's your favorite sitcom?

Currently, How I Met Your Mother. Ever? Probably M*A*S*H. I also love Frasier and Cheers.

2. Is there a sitcom you really don't like?

Sure, tons of them. I hated Friends. Never cared much for Seinfeld. Reruns of Two and a Half Men and Everybody Loves Raymond send me diving for the remote. But the worst sitcom ever is probably Will & Grace, which is a shrill nightmare. You want Afghanistan to submit? Force them to watch Sean Hayes for 10 minutes and they'll be handing over the keys.

3. Which sitcom did you used to like, but now it just seems too hokey?

The Office. I'm telling you, we're just minutes away from an appearance by the Great Gazoo.

4. If your life was a sitcom, what would the title be?

I don't know... what's the point of a sitcom about a guy who sits at his computer all day?

5. Did you watch any of the marathons running this year? In part? In whole?

I watched a marathon of Freaks and Geeks on IFC at... some point recently. I don't remember why it was on, if it was a holiday, or what. I just get caught up in that show.

6. Is there a show you'd like to see run an all day marathon? On the flipside is there a show you'd avoid in marathon?

I've just mentioned several of the shows I'd avoid... I'd love for IFC to do an all day marathon of The Larry Sanders Show. I've been catching the reruns during the week and had actually forgotten just how much I loved that show.

7. What show featuring those who protect your country (fiction or non-fiction) is your favorite?

If we're counting miniseries, Band of Brothers blows me away every time I see it. If we're not counting that, I'm still going to say M*A*S*H.

8. Out of curiosity, what's the longest you've ever watched TV in one stretch?!

I've watched TV from the time I've woken up to the time I've gone to sleep more times than are even worth bothering to count.

9. Do you watch daytime talk TV? If so, which shows do you watch? Do you prefer the calm shows like Oprah or the wilder side like Jerry Springer?

I like The Steve Wilkos Show, which is somewhere in the middle. Not self-promoting fluff like Oprah, nor caterwauling at pathetic people like Jerry Springer. I get the sense Steve is trying to be helpful and listen rather than just exploit people for a living.

10. Which daytime talk TV show would you like to be on? What would the topic be?

I'd love to be on Rachael Ray if the subject were how much I want to do Rachael Ray.

11. Is there a daytime talk TV show you miss that's no longer on the air? Is there someone you'd like to see get a daytime talk TV show?

Nah, not really. Bless Bonnie Hunt for trying; I can't figure out why people don't like her shows!

12. Before talk TV took over game shows ruled the airways during the day, which do you prefer? Or are you a soap opera fan?

Again, the only game show I ever really loved is Jeopardy, and that's on here in the late afternoon. I hate the majority of game shows. I used to watch All My Children during the summers when I was in high school, but other than that, I'm not a soap opera guy. I tried to watch whatever show it was while James Franco was on, but it was dreadful and I didn't make it through his first episode (even when I just tried to forward to only the scenes he was in).

13. Which TV Dad would you have most liked to have for your own dad? On the flipside, who was the TV Dad you'd have least liked to have had?

I always liked Steven Keaton on Family Ties, and now that I'm in my mid-thirties, I understand him even more. I think my favorite TV dad of all time, though--though I don't think I'd have wanted him as my own!--is Red Forman from That '70s Show.

14. Who do you consider the most realistic TV Dad? Who did you consider simply too good to be true?

You know who always rang true to me growing up? Jack Arnold on The Wonder Years. He reminded me quite a bit of my own dad. Ward Cleaver is a fantasy, though.

15. Do you watch infomercials? Be honest now!

Not usually. It has to really grab my attention or have a Kardashian on it. My Mom says there's some infomercial out there for some ab device that has Kris Jenner in a leotard, and I still haven't been able to find it! Kris Jenner in a leotard? More like unfomercial! (If you were on Tumblr, you'd get that.)

16. What's your favorite infomercial or infomercial product?

There used to be an infomercial for a knife that could cut anything that Carl and I used to watch because the guy wielding the knife was bugfuck insane and had this evil glint in his eye every time he brandished it. So that.

17. Have you ever bought anything from an infomercial? If so, what was it?

No.

18. What's the stupidest (most annoying, most worthless) infomercial you've ever seen?

Again, I don't really watch any. But that ShamWow guy really pisses me off. And I never liked Billy Mays, either.

19. One of the latest trends in Daytime TV is re-runs of 80's & 90's hit shows, what is your favorite that's re-running now? If you don't have one which show would you like to see re-running?

I don't really watch the reruns during the day. I watch The Simpsons and King of the Hill at night. I'd like to see more 80s reruns, but we've passed that point, I think, and moved on into the 90s. I did like to watch Frasier reruns in the morning on Lifetime, but the schedule changed and they're gone.

20. On the whole do you feel most Special Reports are really that special? Or are they simply annoying?

Depends on what's happening. These days networks seem to feel almost anything is worthy of a Special Report, unless it happens in another country... And too many Special Reports are of the "We don't have any new information, so we're just reiterating" variety. Tell me new information as you get it, but don't just talk to talk.

21. What special report has effected you most? (IE: (9/11, Reagan being shot...etc)

9/11. That was a terrifying day, watching the second plane hit live and then gradually hearing about other planes. It almost felt like we were being invaded. It was very scary.

22. What's your fondest memory of something on TV?

Weirdly, it's that old McDonald's commercial where Ronald skates with the little boy. It just kind of affected me as a kid somehow. And now when I see it (only on YouTube, sadly), it just reminds me of being a little kid and being together with my family.

23. What's the first show you remember watching regularly?

Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears. I made sure to wake up early on Saturday because it was the first show on and I didn't want to miss it.

24. What is the (pick one: stupidest, saddest, silliest, most disgusting..) thing you've ever seen on TV?

The stupidest thing I've ever seen on TV? It was probably on VH1. Or NBC...

25. What's the best series finale you remember?

I loved the Lost finale. Also, I have a special place in my heart for the last episode of The Prisoner, in large part because it pisses so many people off, and I love that sort of thing.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Maybe someone should write a sitcom based entirely around the conversations with Becca that you post and your answers to questions on Tumblr. I mean, a show based on out-of-context quotes worked so well with Shit My Dad Says, right? :P