Thursday, March 17, 2011

Film Week

A review of the films I've seen this past week.

PRINCE OF PERSIA: THE SANDS OF TIME (2010)
Utter shit. * star.

ROBIN HOOD (2010)
Embarrassing, especially the casting. Russell Crowe is too old and wheezy to hang out with a bunch of guys in their thirties and pretend to be Robin Hood, and Cate Blanchett is past "Maid" Marian and into spinster territory in the role. And the way the conflict is set up as this racist bullshit between the English people and the encroaching French... um, your nobility are Normans, the kings are Plantagenets: you're all fucking French. The faux-nationalism is drawn too broadly to be anything but dopey. I've said it before, I'll say it again: Ridley Scott is a hack. He made two decent movies 30 years ago (and I've always thought Blade Runner was incredibly overrated), and he still gets hailed as some sort of genius for the sloppy shit he puts together. No stars.

6 comments:

Kal said...

Oh I hated Robin Hood. Nothing but Russel Crowe scowling at everything around him as usual. The last thing I enjoyed him in was '3:10 To Yuma'. Ridly Scott just brings out the worst in him too. Never a more self indulgent partnership did ever exist.

StonyPillow said...

Might be just a bit harsh on the Robin Hood casting. I liked the relationship between Blanchett and Crowe. And she is indeed a maid, at least to me.

Does everyone on screen have to be a nubile teen or perky tween? Jeez, let us geezers and olds have a little fun at the talkies, please.

SamuraiFrog said...

It's not that the actors themselves are too old, but the roles felt like they were written for actors two decades younger, and I thought it was embarrassing watching them pretend to be 30, especially when the movie kept surrounding them with younger actors. Maybe I just can't get over Errol Flynn and Claude Rains, but Robin Hood should never seem old enough to be Prince John's father. And if he is, goddamn write him that way.

DrGoat said...

Terrible movie. I couldn't believe how bad it could be until I saw it.
Scott did make good movies at one time. Don't know what happened. But Bladerunner is still one of my favorite movies.

jaundicedi said...

3. "The Duelists" is good enough that he gets a pass on a few bad films.

Tallulah Morehead said...

Who would ever have believed that anyone could make a worse Robin Hood movie than Kevin Kostner's Robin of Encino? It was like when Bush was president; who ever could have believed there would ever be a worse president than Nixon?