Sunday, March 06, 2011

Efficient American Bureaucracy in Action

I like to get my taxes in early. I like getting my refund as quickly as possible, I don't like letting it sit around waiting, and now that Becca and I are married and file jointly, I especially feel like it's my responsibility to get it done quickly.

So we did them the last week in January and waited to get the refund direct deposited within a few days. Which never happened. They transposed my bank account number when issuing my refund, so after calling the IRS and finally (finally, Lord) getting through to a real living breathing person (a feat which itself should have some kind of reward attached to it), I was told about the mix-up and what happens in these cases: I have to wait for a check in the mail, which takes a month.

Fast forward to last week, and the check finally comes. Okay, well, mistakes happen, but at least we finally got our money.

But the hilarious little twist: I got a letter in the mail yesterday from the IRS telling me that there was an error with my direct deposit and that a check would be coming in the mail. A week after the check came in the mail.

It's this sort of thing that really instills confidence in the ability of government institutions to weather something much bigger, you know?

No comments: