Sunday, February 27, 2011

While Playing Trivial Pursuit

ME: "What is the usual color of basketballs?" That's a serious question? I know this is the Easy-Medium-Difficult Edition or whatever it's called, but that's such a lame question we might as well be on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.

BECCA: Well, I don't know... it's, like, pinkish... what's the color called? Is it a red or is it a pink?

ME: ... Wut?

BECCA: I'm an artist, I need to know the name. Wait, they're kind of brown, aren't they? Is it brown?

ME: ...

BECCA: Is it brown? It's brown. They're kind of brown.

ME: ...

BECCA: Am I wrong?

ME: ... Orange. Basketballs are orange. Is this real life?

BECCA: Basketballs are not orange.

ME: Then what they fuck are they? The sky is blue, grass is green, basketballs are orange.

BECCA: Okay, I had basketballs growing up, because I liked to play it, and the balls I had were not orange.

ME: Then they weren't regulation. Kickballs are red. Dodgeballs are red. Did you get hit with a lot of those in gym class, where apparently you never played basketball?

BECCA: They're not orange!

ME: I can't believe we're really discussing what color basketballs are.

BECCA: Well, obviously it's your turn.

ME: Alright. [rolls dice, lands on an arts question]

BECCA: "What is the full title of the first novel in the Harry Potter series?"

ME: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Or, I guess, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

BECCA: It says Philosopher's Stone on the card.

ME: Well, actually, both are acceptable.

BECCA: Hey, you don't make the rules of Trivial Pursuit.

ME: Oh, you didn't know? The smartest person in the room makes the rules. And since we just proved who that was by having a conversation on what color basketballs really are...

BECCA: Don't put this conversation online!

3 comments:

StonyPillow said...

Protip for a happy life -- never argue with an artist about color, you only start a holy war. Basketballs are burnt orange (see University of Texas school colors). Big difference.

SamuraiFrog said...

Not according to Trivial Pursuit.

Tallulah Morehead said...

Accordng to my eyes, they're brownish. Oranges are orange. Never seen a basketball that looked like an orange.

I'm reminded of Cliff Clavin's answer to Final Jeopardy: "Name three men who have never been in my kitchen."