Saturday, February 12, 2011

Monster Hunter Tri

I took that deal on a month of Gamefly that they've been advertising on television lately, and this week I've been playing Monster Hunter Tri. I never played the first two games, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but the commercials for this game when it came out made it look pretty cool, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Someone Becca works with told her, in no uncertain terms, that the Monster Hunter games suck. She played with this one for a little while and was inclined to agree. For a game about hunting monsters, it's pretty talky, and she got bored with a lot of the runaround involved in building up the character. I took over for her and, really, after a while I was also inclined to think "Yeah, this is a pretty boring game."

But I also played it straight for five hours.

And the next day, I couldn't get the thought of more questing out of my head. So I played for another few hours. You have to keep building up the character more and more before you have enough strength, experience, knowledge and equipment to go around hunting the giant monsters, but you cut your teeth on the smaller stuff and gathering precious stones and developing your skills. At some point, this stuff become a real challenge. It got completely engrossing, and I can't stop playing it. I don't know, you just stick with it for a while and suddenly you just want to be able to build as much as you possibly can. I'm considering just paying to keep this used copy of the game because there's obviously a lot more things to do--I can only go on level 2 quests so far.

I can't wait to hunt the big game, but trying to get there is surprisingly fun.

Oh, and not that anyone's keeping score, but just some opinions on other games I've played recently: Batman: The Brave and the Bold is pretty straightforward, but it's enjoyable, especially if you're a fan of the cartoon; I FINALLY played Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and thought it was awesome (best non-LEGO (Star Wars game I've played since the arcade version back in '93); and I adored Epic Mickey, which I'm hoping to get for a birthday or something and will talk more about then.

I love my Wii.

2 comments:

Andrew Green said...

I just started Monster Hunter Tri myself....
I'm finding it a bit of a slow grind, but I thinkit's growing on my a little.

I also just finished Epic Mickey, and got started on Kirby's Epic Yard -- both good.

SamuraiFrog said...

I made it to the Pirates on Epic Mickey and stopped because I want to get the game for myself at some point. I know some people who were disappointed in it, but it's just the right amount of old Disney stuff for me.

I love Kirby's Epic Yarn. It's so nice and relaxing.