Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Memes of Marinus

While I'm on the subject of video games, here's a video game meme. It was going around Tumblr as a 30-Day Challenge, but I just thought I'd do it here as one of Ye Olde Questionnaires.

1. Your very first video game.
I can't remember the first game I ever played; I've been in and out of the arcades since before I can remember. The first video game we ever owned was, I believe, Combat, which came with the Atari 2600.

2. Your favorite character.
Link or Mario. I'm also very fond of Donkey Kong. And Pac-Man.

3. A game that is underrated.
I'm going to say Banjo Kazooie, not because I know if it's underrated or not, but because I really wish that they'd figure out the rights issues and get a new version on the Wii.

4. Your guilty pleasure game.
You know my feelings on the guilty pleasure concept. It is nice to take out frustrations on smashing things and destroying enemies in video games, though. I'm not sure which games I like that I'm supposed to feel bad about liking. Pokemon Snap for the N64, maybe? I find it very relaxing and cute.

5. Game character you feel you are most like (or wish you were).
I love fantasy novels where there's a long quest involved, so I guess I put a lot of myself into Link when I'm playing the various Zelda games.

6. Most annoying character.
Oh, how I still hate that dog from Duck Hunt.

7. Favorite game couple.
I have no idea.

8. Best soundtrack.
I love the music in Super Mario Galaxy. But the Legend of Zelda theme music so much.

9. Saddest game scene.
I'm sure something in a Zelda game.

10. Best gameplay.
I do love the motion control on the Wii. I don't think it's essential to every game, but using it to swing a sword in Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess or make Mario skate in Super Mario Galaxy 2 or to play anything in Wii Sports is a lot of fun.

11. Gaming system of choice.
The Wii. Before that, I loved Nintendo 64 best, but hardly any of the N64 games work anymore.

12. A game everyone should play.
I'm not the type to make that sort of statement.

13. A game you’ve played more than five times.
I think the game I've played most in my life was Pac-Man at the arcade. Of course, this question really refers to playing a game all the way through to the end of the story and then playing it over again. Probably that's Star Wars: The Arcade Game. Or Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time.

14. Current (or most recent) gaming wallpaper.
I've never used any. Surprise, surprise, mine are always sexy chicks.

15. Post a screenshot from the game you're playing right now.
See my previous post. Although I think that wallpaper might technically be from Monster Hunter 2, not Monster Hunter Tri, but it's so damn cool, I just had to use it.

16. Game with the best cut scenes.
I love the Mary Blair-esque cut scenes in Epic Mickey, and I found the story scenes in Force Unleashed to be some pretty great Star Wars. Especially the confrontation between Starkiller and Darth Vader on Corellia.

17. Favorite antagonist.
Bowser's always fun.

18. Favorite protagonist.
Again, Link or Mario.

19. Picture of a game setting you wish you lived in.
The Deku Forest in the Zelda games is always pretty. I love the village in Monster Hunter Tri, which is right on the ocean.

20. Favorite genre.
Adventure games, I guess. What do you call stuff like that? I also enjoy first-person shooters, especially for two players. Becca and I have lots of fun with those.

21. Game with the best story.
I always get really caught up in the Zelda games. I can't wait for Skyward Sword. I really loved Twilight Princess.

22. A game sequel which disappointed you.
I really loved The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and was disappointed in The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. I was hoping for something similar to The Two Towers, but it was too complicated and annoying.

23. Game you think had the best graphics or art style.
Super Mario Galaxy 2. I prefer the cartoony graphics in video games.

24. Favorite classic game.
Space Invaders.

25. A game you plan on playing.
I have a whole list of games I want to play. I'll tell you the upcoming release I'm most excited about, which is LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars.

26. Best voice acting.
I've never given it much thought.

27. Most epic scene ever.
I keep going back to the confrontation on Corellia in Force Unleashed. It gave me chills the way a lot of good Star Wars does.

28. Favorite game developer.
Nintendo. I'm also more apt to play EA Games. And I love Traveler's Tales for the LEGO games.

29. A game you thought you wouldn't like, but ended up loving.
Well, Monster Hunter Tri...

30. Your favorite game of all time.
Right now, I think the game I enjoyed the most was New Super Mario Bros. Wii, because it was the best of the old school, side-scrolling Mario, but with two players so I could play it with Becca (who had never actually played classic Mario before; she'd only played Super Mario 64 and various incarnations of Mario Kart). That was just a fun experience, as much as she was frustrated by it! Flashbacks of playing Super Mario Bros. 3 as a kid...

No comments: