Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Blizzard

We got a terrible blizzard last night. From what I can see and what people have had on their Facebook pages, it's something like 3 or more feet of snow. Everyone's buried. The buses stopped running. No one can get out. The city has declared a state of emergency.

Here's a choice excerpt from the National Weather service: LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS REPORT THAT NEARLY EVERY ROADWAY IS IMPASSABLE AND IN MANY CASES CLOSED. A STATE OF EMERGENCY HAS BEEN DECLARED AND LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS ARE PLEADING FOR PEOPLE TO STAY HOME AND OFF ROADWAYS. BEFORE CONSIDERING GETTING ON THE ROADS THIS MORNING... ASK YOURSELF IF GETTING TO YOUR DESTINATION IS WORTH RISKING YOUR LIFE.

Meanwhile, Becca's boss wants her to be there at noon.

I've stayed out of my wife's workplace insanity for the last five years, because I don't want to be one of those husbands who infantilizes his wife and makes things difficult for her at work by butting in. I try to be supportive of Becca and not be stressful for her at home when she has hard stupidities to deal with from work.

But if this woman thinks I'm letting my wife risk her life to open a fucking bookstore on a day like today, she's in for quite an earful.

6 comments:

Jason said...

Gotta love those insensitive dipshit middle-management types who think their precious little retail franchise is worth somebody's life. Reminds me of the time I got into it with an assistant manager at the movie theater where I worked. She didn't believe me when I called in and told her I couldn't make it because I had the flu. I finally offered to bring her proof in a Mason jar.

Starly said...

Absolutely ridiculous. If the Governor has declared northeastern Illinois a disaster area, then that should be good enough! Whatta byatch!

MC said...

There is a time and a place for getting involved in a spouse's work situation.

This morning in an undisclosed room in your residence was one of those instances.

Carl said...

My girlfriend had to work during the onset of the storm--when where she worked basically should have shut down at three and sent everyone home. Instead, they plowed on because of arrogance, naivete and grandstanding--and it set them back more than before.

Storms like these bring out the best in a lot of people--and then in others, it brings into relief all the things about them that is simply wrong. The problem is that while the former outnumber the latter, in many cases the latter hold all the cards.

Carl said...

Needless to say, no one in their right mind should be out in this. And I think Becca is in her right mind, her boss obviously is not.

Roger Owen Green said...

there are 17 people who work in my office; 1 reported Tuesday. they used vacation time. (well, except me; i'm using family sick/bereavement time)